Table of Contents
Last Updated on November 18, 2020 by Ed Joven
Health Benefits of Calamansi Juice and Why you should drink one.
Health Benefits of Calamansi Juice – Citrofortunella microcarpa, or Calamondin or most commonly known as Calamansi, is the more acidic version of lime in Southeast Asia. Since it has identical properties with lemons and limes, this sour fruit packs a punch when it comes to its health benefits, making a popular choice of fruit when creating fruit juices.
In Filipino cuisines, Calamansi juice is used to season fish, fowl, and pork. It is very commonly used as a condiment in Filipino Recipes like Pancit Habhab or Arroz Caldo, or in the basic sawsawan ( filipino dip) of calamansi juice and soy sauce or fish sauce, for fish, Lumpiang Shanghai, Lumpiang Singkamas, Lumpiang Togue or dumplings and Chicken Inasal, Inihaw na Baboy or various meats.
So how can drinking Calamansi juice benefit you?
1] Calamansi Juice Helps you Lose Weight
Calamansi has 3 properties that can help you with your weight loss:
- 1) It is low in calories;
- 2) Good for regulating digestion; and
- 3) Helps in filling your stomach before eating.
To achieve the benefits of calamansi for weight loss, one simply needs to prepare a calamansi juice drink using hot water for more effective results. Hot water helps the calorie to burn faster. Some people claim that for more effective results, one should drink pure calamansi juice every morning before breakfast, which also had an added value of cleansing the body from all toxins.
2] Calamansi Juice Balances Cholesterol Levels
There are evidences from Medical studies indicating that Calamansi juice can be a big help when it comes to keeping your cholesterol levels balanced. It lessens the cholestrol in your body which is another health benefit for you overall and another additional aid for weight loss.
3] Calamansi Juice Boosts your Immune System
High amounts of vitamin C can be found in Calamansi, and vitamin C is an important vitamin when it comes to improving one’s immune system. Common cough and colds and fever can be prevented with regular intake of Calamansi juice.
4] Calamansi Juice helps stops Body Odor
Think of Calamansi as an eliminator of body odor. If you have prespiration issues with some stench, Calamansi extract helps by removing the odor-causing bacteria.
Just rub some Calamansi extract in affected areas for a couple of minutes then wash.
5] Calamansi Juice improves Oral Hygiene
There is another useful thing about Vitamin C. Vitamin C is also great for alleviating and eventually preventing tooth decay and bleeding gums. And just in case if you have food stains and some plaque, Calamansi juice can also remove them.
6] Calamansi Juice Aids in Controlling Diabetes
Many studies and researches have concluded that Calamansi juice can help regulate and moderate blood sugar levels in your body. Drinkiing Calamansi juice improves the amount of glucose release into your bloodstreem. So drinking enough amount of Calamansi juice will make your diabetes more manageable.
7] Calamansi Juice increases Collagen Production
Collagen production can be boosted by intaking the right amounts of Vitamin c. With the high levels of vitamin C found in a Calamansi, it makes it the perfect fruit to make as a juice in order to enhance the creation of collagen for our body.
8] Calamansi Juice Detoxifies you Body
Detoxfying agents are found in Calamansi that can help flush out impurities in your kidneys, colon, liver, and gallbladder. By drinking Calamansi juice toxins will eliminated from your body.
9] Calamansi Juice as Efficient Bleaching Agent
If you have any skin problems such as pimple marks, skin discoloration, and dark spots, Calamansi juice has alkaline properties, found both in the peel and the juice itself, that can be used for whitening your skin.
10] Calamansi Juice is useful for you Respiratory Health
Having phlegm and mucus can be an annoying experience, but this problem can be solve with Calamansi. The citric acid levels in a Calamansi can break through that phlegm and mucus which can easily soothe your throat and respiratory pain.
With a single glass of Calamansi juice everyday, you’ll be able to receive all these benefits.
- F. Desuasido, E. Potonia, J. Canlas, D. Del Rosario, L.Sansolis, “Calamansi Fruit Extract as Perfume,” An Investigative Report. Makati Science High School, 2013.
- H. I. Abd-alla, H.F. Aly, N. M. Shalabay, N.S. Abu-gabal, N.Z. Mohamed, “Phytophenolics Composition, Hypolipidemic, Hypoglycemic, and Antioxidant Effects of the Leaves of Fortunella japonica (Thunb.) Swingle,”International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 7, no. 12, 2015.
- F.E. Anzaldo and A.V. Briones, “Studies on the Utilization of Citrus Wastes,”NRCP Research Journal, vol. 3, no. 2, 1993.
- All About Diabetes. Philippine Diabetes Statistics. 2012, p.1
- S. Yu-gan, “One person dies from diabetes every 10 seconds,”Philippine Daily Inquirer,November 2013.
- M. Ancheta and L. Acero. (2016).Wound Healing Property of Carica papaya Stem in Albino Rats .International Journal of Bioscience, Biochemistry and Bioinformatics.[Online]. 6(1). pp. 68-74
- International Journal of Food Engineering Vol. 3, No. 1, June 2017
Here are some Calamansi Juice Recipes:
Have you heard of the classic American dessert bar, called Lemon Squares? Now we have the Filipino version of lemon squares, which is the Calamansi Bars, click this for the recipe.
Health Benefits of other Fruits and Vegetables:
Top 6 Health Benefits of Batuan / Batwan Fruit
- Top Health Benefits of Guava Fruit
- Health Benefits of Mango Fruit
- Top 10 Health Benefits of Broccoli
- Top Health Benefits of Guyabano Fruit
- Health Benefits of Ampalaya or Bitter Gourd
- Top 10 Health Benefits of Carrots
- Top Health Benefits of Mangosteen Fruit
- Health Benefits of Kangkong
- Top 10 Health Benefits of Cucumber or Pipino
- Health Benefits of Cayenne Pepper
- Top 10 Health Benefits of Eggplant