How to cook Lumpiang Togue
Cooking a delectable dish doesn’t always have to be difficult, sometimes it only requires a little time to make. Like in this dish that we are going to prepare, it is the Lumpiang Togue Recipe – such an easy dish with just a simple procedure to follow. This is made of mung bean sprouts as the main ingredient which is known here in the Philippines as “Togue”, wrapped in a spring roll along with other veggies such as carrots and cabbage. The combination of vegetables here can be varied as well according to your taste.
Lumpiang Togue is often served as an appetizer or a side dish which is best paired with a dip of spicy vinegar seasoned with onions and whole peppercorn or locally known as “paminta”. In Filipino cuisine, there are other versions in cooking Lumpia recipe, such as Lumpiang Shanghai, Lumpiang Sariwa, Lumpiang Bangus, Chicken Lumpia, Lumpiang Pritong Tokwa, Lumpiang Ubod and the Lumpiang Gulay which is often compared to Lumpiang Togue Recipe since the main ingredient is vegetable, though, in Lumpiang Gulay there are no mung bean sprouts included.
To make Lumpiang Togue fully vegetarian, substitute the meat with mushrooms. You can also replace Togue with shredded cabbage.
Lumpiang Togue Ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo mung bean sprouts or Togue
- 1/4 kilo lean ground pork or beef
- 1 medium carrot, julienne cut
- 3 cloves garlic, cut into smallest cut
- 1 small onion, cut into smallest cut
- 2 tbsps Patis(fish sauce)
- a pinch of grnd black pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Springroll or Lumpia wrapper
- 18og Filled Cheese, cut into strips (optional)
- 3 to 4 cups Canola cooking oil
- salt to taste
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or Fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove – smashed
Lumpiang Togue Cooking Instructions:
- Mix all dipping sauce ingredients separately then set aside.
- Heat frying pan then pour-in 2 tbsp Canola cooking oil then sauté onions and garlic.
- Add-in the meat and cook until meat changes color – about 3 minutes. Making sure to mash it from time to time to separate the meat.
- Add-in the Patis(fish sauce), salt and sprinkle the ground black pepper.
- Add-in the Togue and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add-in the carrot then cook for 2 minutes then add sesame oil mix well and remove Lumpia mixture from the frying pan, set aside and let it cool.
- Place the egg roll wrappers on a clean working surface.
- Put about 2 Tablespoonful of the Lumpia mixture on the wrapper with Filled Cheese on the center.
- Fold and roll like an envelope then seal with water.
- Pour remaining Canola oil in a deep frying pan or deep fryer then turn on the heat.
- Fry the Lumpiang Togue in batches until the Lumpia wrapper turns brown.
- Remove Lumpia one at a time from the frying pan or deep fryer and place in a large plate with paper towel, this will absorb excess oils of Lumpia.
- Transfer Lumpia in a serving plate then serve with dipping sauce.
Note: You may replace the meat with shredded mushrooms or omit it altogether. The vegetables can be varied as well according to your taste as long as you keep the volume/amount the same.
Lumpiang Togue Recipe has the flavoring of sesame oil at the end that gives it a nice savory taste.