Last Updated on November 26, 2020 by Ed Joven
How to cook Lumpiang Togue
Cooking a delectable dish doesn’t always have to be complicated; sometimes, it only requires a little time to make. Like in this dish that we are going to prepare, it is the Lumpiang Togue Recipe – such an easy-to-make meal with just a simple procedure to follow. This Lumpia version’s main ingredient is mung bean sprouts, which is known here in the Philippines as “Togue,” wrapped in a spring roll along with other veggies such as carrots and cabbage.
The combination of vegetables here can be varied as well according to your taste. Lumpiang Togue is a popular appetizer or a side dish that is best with a dipping sauce of spicy vinegar seasoned with onions and whole peppercorn or locally known as “paminta.”
In Filipino cuisine, there are other versions in cooking Lumpia recipes, such as Lumpiang Shanghai, Lumpiang Sariwa, Lumpiang Bangus, Chicken Lumpia, Lumpiang Pritong Tokwa, Lumpiang Ubod, and Lumpiang Gulay.
Lumpiang Gulay is often compared to Lumpiang Togue Recipe since the main ingredient is vegetable, though, in Lumpiang Gulay, there are no mung bean sprouts included.
To make Lumpiang Togue with Cheese entirely vegetarian, substitute the meat with mushrooms. You can also replace Togue with shredded cabbage.
Lumpiang Togue Ingredients and Cooking Procedure:
Lumpia with Togue with Cheese Recipe
- ¼ kilo 250g Lean Ground Pork
- 1 tbsp. Sesame oil
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- ½ med. Onion chopped
- 1½ cups Monggo Sprout “togue”
- ½ cup Carrots chopped
- ½ cup Bell Pepper chopped
- 1-3 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Patis (Fish Sauce)
You also Need:
- 30 med. fresh lumpia wrapper
- 30 pcs. cheddar cheese sticks
- ½ cup Canola oil for frying
- ½ med. onion chopped
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 pcs. red chili
- ¼ cup sinamak
- pepper corns
- Mix all dipping sauce ingredients separately then set aside.
- Heat frying pan then pour-in 2 tbsp Canola cooking oil then sauté onions and garlic.
- Add-in the meat and cook until meat changes color - about 3 minutes. Making sure to mash it from time to time to separate the meat.
- Add-in the Patis(fish sauce), salt and ground black pepper.
- Add-in the Togue and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots then cook for 2 minutes then add sesame oil mix well and remove Lumpia mixture from the frying pan, set aside and let it cool.
- Place the egg roll wrappers on a clean working surface.
- Put about 2 Tablespoonful of Lumpia mixture on the wrapper with Cheese on the center.
- Fold and roll like an envelope then seal with water.
- Pour remaining Canola oil in a deep frying pan or deep fryer then turn on the heat.
- Fry the Lumpiang Togue in batches, until the Lumpia wrapper turns brown.
- Remove Lumpia one at a time from the frying pan or deep fryer and place in a large plate with paper towel, this will absorb excess oils of Lumpia.
- Transfer Lumpia in a serving plate then serve with dipping sauce.
Note: You may replace the meat with shredded mushrooms or omit it altogether. The vegetables can be varied as well according to your taste as long as you keep the volume/amount the same.
Lumpiang Togue Recipe has the flavoring of sesame oil at the end that gives it a nice savory taste.
Filipino Lumpia Recipes: