Last Updated on July 16, 2016 by Ed Joven
How to cook Arroz Caldo
Filipino Arroz Caldo Recipe is often thought to be a Spanish dish because of its name. This dish is actually a Chinese Congee that was adapted to the tastes of the Spanish colonial settlers who patronized Chinese restaurants in the Philippines.
Many Filipino think that Lugaw is also the same with Arroz Caldo but Lugaw is typically thicker, retaining the shape of the rice, but with a similar texture almost the same with the Italian dish, Risotto.
Arroz Caldo, which best represents the mixture of Filipino heritage combining Spanish, Chinese, and Filipino flavors. The use of chicken and cut into individual servings makes Arroz Caldo different from other congees. Some also add Chicharon, Saffron to give it color, toasted garlic, and scallions are added to enhance the flavor, and aroma of the dish.
Arroz Caldo is usually served during breakfast or if somebody is sick at home and having a hard time to eat. It is also one of the popular street food and can be found in several Tapsilogan and Karinderya in the Philippines.
Try this PinoyRecipe version of Arroz Caldo Recipe and give us your feedback.
Pinoy Arroz Caldo Ingredients:
- 1 kilo Choice Cuts Chicken ( Thigh part ), Skin removed
- 5 pcs hard boiled eggs
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 6 cups chicken broth (or 6 cups plain water if broth not available)
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup scallions (red onions), minced
- 3 knobs ginger, julienned
- 2 pcs chicken cube (bouillon) [optional: if you dont have the broth then you need this]
- 5 pcs calamansi
- 3 tbsp Canola cooking oil
Arroz Caldo Cooking Instructions:
- In a pot, heat the cooking oil then Crispy Fry the Chicken Skin, once crispy like chicharon set aside
- Next saute the garlic, onion, and ginger. Dash-in some ground black pepper
- Add the chicken and cook until outer layer color turns golden brown.
- Then Add the fish sauce and the cooked rice then mix and cook for a few minutes
- Now, Pour in the water and bring to a boil (Add the chicken cube, stir until the cube melts)
- Stir occasionally and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked (about 15 to 20 minutes)
- Removed the Egg shells and put-in the hard boiled eggs
- Serve hot with Chicken Skin chicharon on top, garlic, minced scallions, and Kalamansi.
- Share and Enjoy!
Here’s the ready to serve Filipino Arroz Caldo