Last Updated on
These Top 10 Health Benefits Cucumber or Pipino are the reasons why you need to eat this everyday.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Cucumber – Cucumber is known in Filipino as Pipino, it is the fourth most cultivated vegetable in the world and known to be one of the best foods for your body’s overall health, often referred to as a super-food. Cucumbers are eaten either fresh or as a pickle, cucumbers have numerous health benefits, even though they may not be full of flavor. Add them to salads or slice them in spears to eat alone or with a low-fat dip.
Cucumbers are believed to have originated in southern Asia and India more than 10,000 years ago. The many varieties of cucumbers are all part of the Cucurbitaceae family, along with watermelons, zucchini and squash, which are often considered fruits, based on how they are prepared or eaten.
Cucumber also contains many vitamins and minerals that make them a healthy choice for cooking and snacking. Cucumbers are often sprayed with pesticides so it is important to buy organic or even better, grow them yourself.
Here are the Health Benefits of Cucumber / Pipino:
1] Rehydrates body and replenishes daily vitamins
Cucumbers are 95 percent water, keeping the body hydrated while helping the body eliminate toxins. Cucumbers have most of the vitamins the body needs in a single day. Don’t forget to leave the skin on because the skin contains a good amount of vitamin C, about 10 percent of the daily-recommended allowance.
One 11-ounce (300-gram) unpeeled, raw cucumber contains the following:
- Calories: 45
- Total fat: 0 grams
- Carbs: 11 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Vitamin C: 14% of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 62% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 10% of the RDI
- Potassium: 13% of the RDI
- Manganese: 12% of the RDI
2] Promotes joint health, relieves gout and arthritis pain
Cucumber is an excellent source of silica, which is known to help promotes joint health by strengthening the connective tissues. They are also rich in vitamin A, B1, B6, C & D, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. When mixed with carrot juice, they can relieve gout and arthritis pain by lowering the uric acid levels.
3] Helps in weight loss and digestion
Due to its low calorie and high water content, cucumber is an ideal diet for people who are looking for weight loss. The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumbers are very effective in ridding the body of toxins from the digestive system, aiding digestion. Daily consumption of cucumbers can be regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.
4] Control Blood Pressure
Cucumber juice contains a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber which are very helpful for regulating blood pressure. This makes cucumber especially good for treating both low blood pressure and high blood pressure.
5] Skin care
- The high water content and the presence of certain vitamins and minerals make cucumber an essential part of skin care. Facial masks containing cucumber juice can be used for skin tightening. Ascorbic acid and caffeic acid present in cucumbers can bring down the water retention rate which in turn diminishes the puffiness and swelling under the eyes. Cucumber skin also can bring relief to the skin caused by sunburn or windburn.
6] Beneficial for teeth and gums
Cucumber juice is also beneficial for people with teeth and gums problems, especially in cases of pyorrhea. Cucumber is a good source of dietary fiber and this fiber massage in the teeth and gums.
7] Acts as a diuretic
The water content of cucumber acts as a diuretic. It encourages the elimination of waste products from the body through urination. Regular intake of cucumber helps to dissolve bladder or kidney stones.
8] Relieves bad breath
- Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds, the phytochemicials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
9] Stimulate hair growth
Cucumber contains silicon and sulphur and thus a regular intake of cucumber can help promote healthy hair growth. For best results, mix cucumber juice with the juices of carrot, lettuce or spinach.
10] Another Health Benefits of Cucumber is it helps Fight cancer
Cucumber contains lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol – three lignans that have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of several cancer types, including breast cancer, prostate cancer, uterine cancer, and ovarian cancer.
- USDA National Nutrient Database.
- Stanford School of Medicine Cancer information Page- Nutrition to Reduce Cancer Risk.
- Cornell University: Cucumber Growing Guide
- Cleveland Clinic: 7 Foods That Will Satisfy Your Thirst and Hunger
- The World’s Healthiest Foods: Cucumbers