Last Updated on September 7, 2013 by Ed Joven
How to cook the famous Filipino Spaghetti
Filipino Style Spaghetti Recipe is one of the most loved foods in Filipino cuisine, it is always present in every special occasions like birthday and fiesta. Unlike the popular Italian spaghetti, Filipino spaghetti runs on the sweet side because of Banana Ketchup. Filipino Style Spaghetti always include hot dogs or Vienna sausage in addition to ground beef.
This Filipino Style Spaghetti meat sauce is made from lean ground pork and lean ground beef and slices of hotdogs, then topped with quick-melt cheese.
Filipino Style Spaghetti Ingredients:
- 1 kg. spaghetti noodles
- 1/2 kg. Lean ground beef
- 1/2 kg. Lean ground pork
- 1/4 kg. Tender Juicy hotdogs, diagonally sliced
- 1/2 kg. tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup Banana Ketchup
- 3 pieces laurel leaves (bay leaves)
- 1/4 cup brown or white sugar
- 3 green bell peppers, finely chopped
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of Canola cooking oil
- 1 cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Quick melt cheese
Filipino Style Spaghetti Cooking Instructions:
- Cook spaghetti noodles according to package instructions.
- In a sauce pan or wok, saute garlic and onions in cooking oil.
- Add ground beef, ground pork, laurel leaves, bell pepper and a cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and Banana ketchup, salt and pepper to taste then let simmer for another 10 minutes
- Add sliced hotdogs. Continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with the cooked spaghetti noodles and grated Quick melt cheese on top.
Filipino Style Spaghetti cooking tips:
- Don’t overcook the spaghetti. Perfectly cooked spaghetti is al dente–“to the tooth”–which means that it will resist slightly when you bite into it. One way to tell is if it sticks to your refrigerator without falling off.
- Feel free to experiment! Other additions are mushrooms, prawns, bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant.