Last Updated on
How to cook Tinolang Manok with Malunggay
Tinolang Manok with Malunggay is a simple soup and a favorite home-style dish in the Philippines. Traditionally, Tinola is cooked with chicken, wedges of green papaya, and chili pepper leaves or Bird’s eye chili leaves in a broth flavored with ginger, onions, and fish sauce.
In case chicken is not available, you can substitute pork, chayote instead of papaya, or moringa leaves known as marungay or malunggay, instead of pepper leaves.
In this recipe we used malunggay leaves.
Did you know that you will get lots of nutritional benefits from Moringa or Malunggay? Visit our article about it here; Top 10 Health Benefits of Malunggay.
This version of Tinolang Manok has a twist, we added tomatoes and saute the chicken with it. We learned this process from an experienced cook. He said, “sauteing the chicken with tomatoes will preserve the chicken’s original taste.”
This is optional you can omit the tomatoes from the recipe if you don’t want to experiment.
Chicken Tinolang with Malunggay Ingredients and Cooking Procedure:
Tinolang Manok with Malunggay Recipe
- 1 kilo Chicken legs choice cuts
- 1 small young papaya cut into small pieces.
- 2 tablespoons ginger crushed and sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup Malunggay leaves you can also use chili leaves
- 1 liter of water
- 3 siling haba (chili)
- 1 to 2 stalk lemongrass
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 5 pieces of tomatoes small sized sliced ( optional )
- 1 red onion diced
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons patis fish sauce
- 1 Chicken broth cube
- In a casserole, heat oil and saute' garlic, onion, tomatoes and ginger.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, fry chicken until slightly brown.
- Add water and lemongrass.
- Bring to a boil, then Add papaya.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add Siling Haba (chili) and chicken cube then, continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until papaya softens but not overcooked.
- Season with patis or salt.
- Add Malunggay leaves then, simmer for additional 2 minutes then, turn off the heat.
- Serve steaming hot with plain rice.
Other Popular Chicken Recipes: