How to cook Ginataang Bilo bilo
Filipino Ginataang Bilo bilo Recipe is usually served as a afternoon snack and best eaten freshly cooked while the Bilo bilo is at its best, pillow soft.
Ginataang Bilo bilo snack consist of Gata (coconut milk), Saging na Saba (Cardava banana), Kamote (sweet potato), Sago (Tapioca Pearls), Bilo-bilo (Sticky glutinous rice balls), and Langka (jackfruit).
Ginataang Bilo-bilo Ingredients
- 4-15 oz. cans coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 ripe cardava bananas (saba), peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 cups sweet potato (kamote) or yam, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 cups purple yam (ube), peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 cups jackfruit (langka), cut into strips (reserve the syrup)
- 1/2 cup tapioca pearls (sago), soaked in water for 30 minutes
Ginataang Bilo Bilo Cooking Instructions:
- In a large pot, combine coconut milk, water, reserved syrup from the jackfruit and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer.
- Add the sweet potatoes and purple yam. Cook till tender.
- Add the cardava bananas (saba) and tapioca pearls. Cook till the bananas are tender and the tapioca pearls are translucent.
- Add the jackfruit and rice balls last.
- Cook till the jackfruit is soft.
- Serve Hot
Note: To keep the purple yams from getting overcooked and turning the coconut milk purple, you can cook them in the sugar water right after you cook the dough balls.
Here’s the ready to serve Filipino Ginataang Bilo Bilo.