How to cook Filipino Chopsuey
There are lots of Chinese influenced dishes that are popular in the Philippines and Chopsuey Recipe is one of them. Chopsuey simply means “mixed pieces” since it is cooked with various combinations of bite-size stir fried veggies in a thickened starchy sauce.
It is composed of chicken, pork, shrimp and vegetables such as cabbage, celery, bean sprouts, carrots and you may also include some other vegetables according to your liking. To make this Chopsuey Recipe more flavorful you may use meat broth instead of water and to make it more special, quail eggs, chicken liver and baby corn are sometimes added in this recipe.
If you have suggestions on how to improve this recipe please post it on the comment box or share your own Choysuey recipe to your Kababayans and to those who love Filipino foods.
Watch how to cook Chopsuey :
Chopsuey Recipe by Filipino Recipes Portal:
- 1/4 kilo broccoli cut into florets
- 1/4 kilo cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chicharo snow peas
- 1/4 small cabbage cut into 1-inch thick strips
- 1 cup Chinese pechay
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and cut into small pieces
- 1 small bell pepper seeded and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup button mushrooms
- 1 small onion peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 cup chicken thigh fillets cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ cup chicken liver cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 pieces baby corn halved crosswise
- 10 quail eggs hard boiled and peeled
- 1 chicken cube
- 1-1/2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoon Canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a Large sauce pan, add 3 1/2 cups of water, 1 teaspoon salt and simmer.
- Also prepare a bowl with water and lots of ice for your vegetable ice bath.
- Add carrots, bell pepper, young corn and snow peas (chicharo) cook for about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the veggies from sauce pan and place it into a bowl of ice bath.
- Add cauliflower and broccoli to the sauce pan and cook for about 3 minutes
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the broccoli and cauliflower from sauce pan and place it into a bowl of ice bath.
- Dissolve the Chicken Cube using water from the poaching liquid.
- Set aside and reserve the poaching liquid.
- Drain vegetables from the ice bath when they are cold.
- Pour and heat Canola oil in a wok or large sauce pan.
- Saute onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the sliced chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken liver and continue to cook for about 2 minutes or until the liver is cooked.
- Pour the dissolved chicken cube and mix.
- Pour 2 cups of the reserved poaching liquid and oyster sauce.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the hardboiled quail eggs and mushrooms.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the vegetables then add to the mixture
- Gently stir the veggies to combine, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add cabbage and chinese pechay.
- Combine 1/4 cup of cold water and corn starch in a small bowl and stir until corn starch is dissolved.
- Add the dissolved corn starch.
- Gently stir the Chopsuey mixture.
- Add corn starch mixture to pan, stirring gently.
- Cook for about 2 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the sauce pan or wok and place in a serving dish.
Try this flavorful and nutritious Chopsuey Recipe, great for any occasions.