How to cook Pocherong Manok
Pochero is another popular hearty dish here in the Philippines, it is one of the Spanish influenced dishes that are well-loved by most Filipinos which means “stewpot”. The most popular version of cooking pochero is the Beef or Pork pochero though cooking this may take a while since you have to wait until the meat is tender and can be chewed easily.
Now we are going to prepare the Chicken Pochero Recipe, this dish is just as satisfying and flavorful like the beef and pork version, though it is a lot quicker and easy to prepare. This recipe uses chicken as the main ingredient with a perfect and filling combination of vegetables such as sweet potato, bok choy or pechay and banana plantains which complements each other. Traditionally the soup in pochero is tomato-based and chorizo sausage is also added, though it is sometimes omitted since it makes the soup lardy.
Here’s how to cook Chicken Pochero Recipe, such an excellent soup dish to make you warm during a cold rainy day.
Chicken Pochero Ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo chicken, (preferably wings section) cut into serving pieces
- 1/2 piece cabbage, quartered
- 1 bunch Pechay
- 1 medium sized potato, cubed
- 2 large plantain(saba) banana or 1 large plantain banana, sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 2 tbsp whole pepper corn
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 chicken cube(Bouillon cube)
- 200 grams tomato sauce
Chicken Pochero Cooking Instructions:
- Heat oil in a frying pan and stir-fry the potato and banana until golden brown then set aside.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomato
- Add the Chicken and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the fish sauce, tomato sauce, and whole pepper corn and mix well
- Add the water and chicken cube then simmer until the chicken meat is tender
- Add the fried banana, and potato and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the cabbage and simmer for 3 minutes
- Add the pechay then turn off the heat.
- Cover the pot for 3 minutes to cook the pechay.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Chicken Pochero Recipe is an excellent soup dish to make you warm during a cold rainy day.