Last Updated on July 4, 2023 by Ed Joven
How to cook Chicken Curry Empanada
Crumbly and crunchy, two things that make the chicken curry empanada one of the favorite snacks for Pinoys, both young and old. The tender crust that wraps this special recipe’s savory and creamy filling is truly a pride for Filipino cuisine. In addition, it has bursting flavors of green bell peppers that add a little bit more spiciness to this yummy merienda.
To create a tastier chicken flavor, it’s highly recommended to marinate the chicken meat in salt before preparing this recipe. You can make the filling in advance and put it in the fridge until you’re ready to make your empanadas. However, make sure the filling is properly defrosted before you put them inside the crust to keep the original flavor of the marinated chicken.
Check out this easy-to-follow recipe to enjoy a crunchy, delicious snack. Try it today and see what you can come up with!
Chicken Curry Empanada Ingredients and Procedure:
To cook this Chicken Curry Empanada Recipe, the main ingredients you need include green chilies, potato, chicken breast, carrots, white onion, black pepper, curry mix, and chicken stock.
Chicken Curry Empanada Recipe
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Iodized Salt
- 1 cup Butter/Margarine chilled & cubes
- 7-8 tbsps Cold Water
Chisken Curry Filling:
- 275 g Fillet Chicken Breast boiled & cubes
- 1 small White Onion diced
- 1 med. Carrots diced
- 1 large Potato cubed
- 4 small Green Chillies minced
- 1 tsp. Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. Magic Sarap
- 2 tbsps Curry Mix (Del Monte)
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Chicken Stock from boiled chicken breast
- 1 cup Oil for frying & saute
~ Chicken Curry Filling ~
- Mince White Onion
- Peel potato, slice and cut into cubes
- Next, peel medium carrot then slice and dice
- Slice and cut boiled chicken into cubes
- Slice green chillies and discard the seeds
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions
- Add carrots and add potatoes then saute until soften
- All salt & pepper
- Add green chillies and chicken
- Add Magic Sarap and Curry powder
- Pour chicken stock, cover with a lid and let it simmer until evaporates
- Add Chicken Curry and taste test (adjust salt & pepper, according to taste)
~ Empanada Dough ~
- Combine flour, salt and chilled margarine in a bowl
- Rub flour into chilled margarine and pinch to create crumbs
- Add 6 tbsps. of cold water
- Cover and refrigerate, let it rest for 20 mins.
- Dust pastry mat & rolling pin with flour
- Flatten dough about 0.5 cm thick
- Cut empananda dough
- I'm using a large Empanada Moulder
- Remove extra dough & set aside
- Place dough in a moulder and fill with chicken curry
- Close firmly to seal the dough
- Remove from the mould
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough & filling.
- Flatten the excess dough.
- Cut, Fill and Seal
- This recipe can make 20 pcs. Chicken Curry Empanada
~ Let's Fry ~
- Heat oil in a pan over med. heat
- Fry Empanada in batches until golden brown
- Drain excess oil using a paper towel or a cooling rack
- Our Chicken Curry Empanada is ready to serve & enjoy
One quick tip in making the Empanada Dough, it’s better to use a food processor when mixing the dough than a fork. It will help you create the best flavors from the ingredients while making sure the filling is properly mixed. Let the dough sit for two hours after kneading to make it easier to assemble.
After wrapping the chicken potato curry filling in the buttery empanada dough, deep-fry them to achieve a crumbly and crunchy snack for the whole family.
Filipino Empanada Recipes:
- Tuna Bread Pie Recipe
- Filipino Chicken Empanada Recipe
- Vigan Empanada Recipe
- Filipino Beef Empanada Recipe
- Ham and Cheese Empanada Recipe
- Corned Beef Empanada Recipe