Last Updated on November 26, 2020 by Ed Joven
How to cook Kadyos Manok Ubad soup
Kadyos Manok Ubad Recipe – In Filipino cuisine, when using native chicken as the main ingredient, the first thing that comes to mind is that hearty soup dish called Tinolang Manok. Native chicken (free-range chicken) meat is ideal in cooking soup dishes since it has its distinct rich taste that gives a delicious and unique flavor than those raised ordinary chickens.
Though in this recipe, we will make an equally delectable and flavorful dish called Native Chicken with Banana Ubad and Kadyos or known as “KMU,” which stands for – Kadyos, Manok, and Ubad. The name refers to the three main ingredients used in the dish: kadyos (pigeon peas), manok (chicken) and ubad (the edible inner layers of a banana stalk).
This Kadyos Manok Ubad chicken soup is one of the well-loved and demand dishes by Ilonggos here in the Philippines. We also recommend that you try the pork version Kadyos Baboy Langka Recipe or “KBL”. Kadyos is a type of legume that looks like a small black bean known as pigeon peas or black-eyed peas. This a popular ingredient used by Ilonggos in Western Visayas, particularly in Aklan and Iloilo City.
Ingredients and Procedure of Kadyos Manok Ubad Soup
- 1 whole Native chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 cup kadyos pigeon peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 piece medium-sized onion quartered
- 1 thumb sized ginger (peel and bruised)
- 2 pieces ubad banana tree core, chopped
- 2 bundled tanglad or lemongrass
- 3 pieces Siling haba birds eye chili
- 1 Chicken cube optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare Kadyos by soaking it overnight or If you don't time just wash kadios in water.
- Boil it in 2 cups water for 5 minutes to release the scum from the kadios.
- Remove from the flame then discard water and wash the kadios again.
- Pour water in a cooking pot then add the Native Chicken, Lemongrass and a little salt and Kadyos beans.
- Bring to a boil then add the ginger, onions, siling haba and ubad, then let it boil until the chicken and Kadyos beans are tender.
- Add chicken cube, salt to taste and pepper.
- Cover the cooking pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy!
Try also our Tinolang Manok Recipe
Kadyos Manok Ubad Recipe is an appetizing and unique flavor Ilonggo dish, give it a try and you will surely love it.
Popular Filipino Chicken Recipes: