Last Updated on January 13, 2021 by Ed Joven
How to cook Magical Lumpiang Shanghai
This Magical Lumpiang Shanghai is a perfect dish for the Holiday season or any special occasion. Our delicious Lumpia recipe is all you need to make a delightful fried spring roll.
Our Magical Lumpiang Shanghai has ground pork, ground beef, green onions, carrots, and even MAGGI Magic Sarap to ensure that every bite is delicious and flavorful.
Lumpiang Shanghai is one of the most popular dishes served in Filipino parties and variations of Pancit (like Pancit Canton, Pancit Bihon, Pancit Batil, Pancit Habhab and Pancit Palabok). Lumpia are commonly prepared ahead and stored in the refrigerator and deep-fried immediately before the party starts.
Ingredients and Cooking Procedure of Lumpiang Shanghai:
Magical Lumpiang Shanghai Recipe
- 1/2 kg Ground Pork
- 1/4 kg Ground Beef
- 1 sachet MAGGI® Magic Sarap®
- 3 tbsp MAGGI® Oyster Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium Onion minced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/8 cup green onion
- 1 cup Carrot grated
- 1 pc Egg
- 60 Lumpia Wrapper
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3 cups Vegetable Oil
- In a large bowl, combine ground pork, ground beef, MAGGI® Magic Sarap®, MAGGI® Oyster Sauce, garlic, onion, green onion, egg, and carrot.
- Use your hands to Mix everything and knead the meat.
- Layout a few wrappers at a time on a flat surface. (See the video on how to wrap Lumpia properly)
- Take one and place about 2 tbsp of the filling in a line down the wrapper's center.
- Ensure the filling is no thicker than your thumb, or the wrapper will cook faster than the meat.
- Take the bottom and top edges of the wrapper and fold them towards the center.
- Take a left and right sides, and fold them towards the center.
- Moisten the last edge of the wrapper to seal.
- Now repeat using the rest of the wrappers, and have hubby or the kids help you out.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer then, fry four lumpia at a time depending on your frypan's size.
- Fry for about 3 or 4 minutes, turning once.
- Lumpia are cooked through when they float, and the wrapper is golden brown.
- Cut in half, or serve as is with dipping sauce.
- You can use many dipping sauces like sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce with lemon, or banana ketchup.
- I like it with Pinakurat only, try it you'll love it.
How to Freeze Lumpiang Shanghai:
Place all the assembled lumpia in freezer bags or Lock&Lock-container. Uncooked frozen Lumpiang shanghai kept in tightly sealed freezer bags or containers will last up to two months.
Cooking Frozen Lumpia:
When ready to cook, there is no need to thaw before frying Lumpia. Just fry it directly from the container to the frypan with oil.