Last Updated on November 15, 2011 by Ed Joven
How to make Lumpiang Bangus?
Lumpiang Bangus or Milkfish Spring Rolls is basically prepared by boiling the fish. Most cooks classify this dish as easy to prepare. Lumpiang Bangus is another delicious variant of the famous Filipino Lumpia recipes, we already covered a number of Lumpia varieties in our previous post such as Lumpiang Sariwa, Lumpiang Togue, Lumpiang Pritong Tokwa, Lumpiang Ubod, Chicken Lumpia, and the most famous lumpia of all Lumpiang Shanghai.
This delicious Filipino dish, Lumpiang Bangus is not popular in the Philippines due to the belief that fish is not a good substitute for pork. For certain individuals, especially those who have Hypertension, this is a nutritious substitute to Lumpiang Shanghai. Other types of fish can be used for this recipe such as Galungong, Yellow fin tuna, Tanigue, or you can experiment with other types of fishes.
Best served with sweet chili sauce. This recipe is a must try!
Lumpiang Bangus Ingredients:
- 2 Medium sized Bangus (Milkfish), we recommend boneless, but for the budget conscious you can buy the regular bangus or milkfish
- 1/4 cup onion leaves, chopped
- 3 medium onions (or shallots)
- 3 Tomatoes, chopped
- Vegetable oil or Canola Oil for frying
- 2 cups Rice Noodles ( Bihon or Sotanghon )
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 30 Lumpia wrappers
- Fish Sauce (patis) to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Carrots
- 1 egg, beaten
How to make Lumpia Sweet Chili Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- Fish Sauce or Salt to taste
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 pcs Siling Labuyo or Bird’s eye Chili
Lumpiang Bangus Cooking Instructions:
- Clean the fish, place it on a sauce pan and cover with water then boil it until it is tender but not too soft.
- Then flake the fish meat after the bangus has cooled, if you used not boneless bangus, debone it and set it aside.
- Cut the onions and tomatoes into small pieces, then grate the carrots.
- In another sauce pan, heat oil and Saute’ the garlic, onion, and tomatoes, add onion leaves, fish meat and carrots, season with fish sauce and pepper. Set aside and cool.
- To wrap the Lumpia, get a tablespoonful of the cooked fish, then add rice noodles, brush a little of egg on the edges of the wrap then wrap it. ( see the picture above ) Remember, use the tablespoon to measure the meat that you wrap.
- In a deep fryer pour the vegetable oil, when you think its hot enough pour the lumpia one by one to avoid sticking to each other.
- Fry it until golden brown. Drain in absorbent paper and serve hot with the Lumpia Sweet Chili sauce.
PinoyRecipe.net’s Tips: Most Supermarkets sell Lumpia Wrapper in square shape and you can buy it in different sizes. We recommend it compared to the round lumpia wrapper that you can buy in a public market if you are in the Philippines. You’ll have a lot of waste using the round type lumpia wrapper and it is time consuming to re-wrap and double wrap the damage wraps.