How to cook Minatamis na Saging
Minatamis na Saging Recipe or sweetened banana is another delectable and famous Filipino dessert which is made up of plantains or cardaba banana also known here in the Philippines as “Saba”. The banana plantains are usually used in many Filipino cuisines it is oval shaped, fat and elongated and known to be rich in potassium.
Cooking this dish is very simple and easy to prepare, the banana plantains are cooked in a mixture of water, brown sugar, vanilla extract and a little salt. This Minatamis na Saging Recipe is also called in Tagalog as” Kusilbang Saging” which means sweet fruit preserve or to make it as jam. This dish is often served as an afternoon snack and can be done quickly for about 15 minutes.
The Minatamis na Saging is also used in other Filipino coolers as a condiment, you may add it on the famous “Halo-Halo” and the “Saging con Yelo”.
Minatamis na Saging Ingredients
- 5 pieces ripe Saba
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Minatamis na Saging Instructions:
- Peel and slice the bananas into bite sizes.
- In a large pan combine water and brown sugar, stir well to dissolve sugar then apply heat and bring to boil.
- Add-in sliced bananas and lower the heat then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Impurities will rise up when boiling, remove them and discard.
- When the sugar mixture is in light syrup state and thick, turn off the the fire.
- Pour the Vanilla extract and stir well.
- You can use it as a Halo Halo ingredient or serve in a bowl with the sugar syrup.
- Left-overs can be placed in a clean containers and refrigerate.