Last Updated on November 1, 2018 by Ed Joven
How to cook Chicken Bistek
Bistek is a dish that varies and is unique for many different countries. For Mexico, Bistek is sirloin beef covered in bread crumbs and placed in tortillas or tacos. In the United Arab Emirates, Bistek is a way of cooking steak topped with ranch dressing and potato cuts. But here in the Philippines, Bistek Tagalog is a classic dish with beef or pork strips cooked in soy sauce and calamansi juice, topped with onions and diced garlic. And this traditional Bistek Tagalog has now been given a twist. Rather than using beef slices, we will be using here chicken choice cuts. The ingredients are still identical but its flavors truly do pack a punch.
Sounds tempting? Why not try to cook this for your family, friends or maybe all just for you. The recipe of Chicken Bistek is such a simple recipe that can be cooked with ingredients easily found in your refrigerator. And it is also a flexible recipe; it can be cooked for either lunch or dinner.
Chicken Bistek by Filipino Recipes Portal:
Chicken Bistek Recipe
- 3/4 kilo Chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 medium Red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 large White onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup calamansi juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons liver spread (optional)
- Wash and clean the chicken and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine onions, garlic, peppercorns, Calamansi juice and soy sauce, then add the chicken and mix well.
- Massage marinade into Chicken meat then marinate inside the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Drain the chicken then set aside and reserve the marinade.
- In a deep fry pan pour Canola oil then apply heat.
- Fry chicken and Cook until chicken is lightly browned then add reserved onions and garlic from the marinade.
- Add reserved marinade and water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add Liver spread and cook for about 3 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Garnish with sliced onion rings and serve hot with rice.