Last Updated on July 26, 2020 by Ed Joven
How to cook Kalderetang Manok / Chicken Caldereta
Kalderetang Manok / Chicken Caldereta Recipe – Original Kaldereta is a goat stew consists of goat shoulders, tomato sauce, potatoes, spices, liver spread, olives, bell peppers, and hot peppers. Kaldereta is a Spanish-influenced dish that became to be Filipinos’ favorite and made their versions. You can find this dish in all Filipino cookbooks.
Kaldereta is a favorite Filipino meal served during parties, festivities, and other special occasions in the Philippines.
In this Chicken Caldereta version of Kaldereta, we use Chicken Legs because this is my favorite part of the Chicken. I find it to be the most delicious choice cut. You can use other chicken parts or use the whole Chicken.
Try our version of Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta Recipe and give us your feedback.
Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta Recipe Ingredients and Cooking Procedure :
Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta
- 1 kg Chicken Legs
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns lightly cracked
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- Canola oil for frying
- 500 gm Tomato Sauce
- 1 85 gm can of Liver Spread
- 2 pcs medium sized Bell Pepper seeded and sliced
- 2 pcs long Green or Red chilli [optional]
- 1/3 cup bottled olives - drained [optional]
- 1 can of Green Peas you can also use fresh or frozen 1/2 cup
- 250 gm Potatoes - peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Hot Chilli Sauce [optional]
- In a bowl add the following ingredients vinegar, salt, garlic, and peppercorns, then mix thoroughly.
- Add the chicken pieces to the mixture and mix well. Marinate chicken for at least 2 hours.
- In a big pot, heat oil for frying. Fry the potatoes till cooked.
- Now, Drain the Chicken from marinade and fry briefly in the oil in batches. Set aside.
- Remove oil from the pot but leave about 2 Tbsp. Heat up again and saute the onion on medium heat until soft and translucent (about 4-5 minutes).
- Scoop out the garlic and peppercorns from the marinade and add to the onion. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add in the browned chicken, stir for a minute then add the rest of the marinade, stir and cook for about a minute.
- Stir in the Tomato Sauce and bell pepper. Bring to boil then turn down the heat.
- Add the fresh chilli, simmer until meat is almost done, Now add the Liver Spread and mix well to combine.
- Add potatoes and peas. Simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Add grated cheese, mix well until cheese has melted.
- Taste the Kaldereta sauce and add salt to correct seasonings, you can now add the Hot Chilli Sauce if preferred.
- Serve warm with Rice.
This version of the traditional Filipino dish Chicken Caldereta Recipe, is more creamy and much more flavorful.
Try these Traditional Filipino Recipes: