Last Updated on July 14, 2016 by Ed Joven
How to cook Chicken Afritada
Chicken Afritada Recipe, also known as Apritadang Manok. Afritada is one of those tomato sauce based stews that many Filipinos believed have been introduced in the Philippines by the Spaniards. Chicken Afritada is so popular and loved by many Filipinos, that’s why most Karinderias in the Philippines sell this dish. The reason Chicken Afritada is popular because it is delicious and an easy-to-make homestyle dish, it may look similar to Menudo and Caldereta but it is totally different in terms of taste.
This version of Chicken Afritada is much easier to make, we used Choice Cuts Chicken Legs, no need to cut the chicken and we used ready made tomato sauce, so there’s no need to cut a lot of tomatoes, saving you more time and less effort in your cooking process.
Try this PinoyRecipe version of Chicken Afritada Recipe and give us your feedback.
Chicken Afritada Ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo chicken, Choice Cuts Chicken Leg
- 4 pieces potatoes, peeled and sliced into wedges
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 2 pcs bell pepper, small sized and sliced
- 1/4 kilo carrots, sliced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of patis (fish sauce)
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil or Cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Chicken Afritada Cooking Instructions:
- In a large thick-bottomed pot or large bottom frying pan, heat Olive oil or Cooking Oil.
- Fry the Chicken in batches until slightly brown.
- Then Saute’ garlic and onions.
- Pour the tomato sauce and stock then add the Bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked.
- Add potatoes and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the Carrots and bell peppers, simmer for an additional minute or two.
- Pour the Patis or Fish Sauce then add Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the Bay leaves after cooking.
- Serve hot with rice.
Ready to Serve Chicken Afritada or Apritadang Manok Recipe