Last Updated on December 5, 2019 by Ed Joven
Health Benefits of Banana, you should know.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Banana – Bananas are elongated crescent-shaped edible fruit with a soft flesh from blossomy plants of the Musa breed. There are lots of banana varieties and the two specific kinds is the “Musa Paradisiacal” known as the banana plantain and the “Musa nana or Musa sapienta” known as the sweet banana, which is covered with a peel that varies from colors of yellow, red and green. The sweet bananas are often eaten raw and sometimes added as an ingredient in pastries and smoothies.
While the banana plantains are starchy and usually used in cooking, it is more likely to consider as a vegetable. And it has higher beta carotene than the sweet bananas.
Bananas are one of the most eaten fruits worldwide, not only that, it tastes delicious, but for the reason that it is just as healthy and nutritious as eating apples. Though, you can get more calories from eating bananas than of apples which is why most of the athletes eat bananas to regain their energy.
Here are the Health Benefits of Banana:
PHOTO CREDIT http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/04/19/the-cutest-post-ever/
1. Helps Regulate the Digestion and Bowel Movements.
Bananas have insoluble fibers which travel to our digestive tract that sweeps up waste and makes bowel movements easy to pass. It is also an excellent remedy for diarrhea since it contains pectin – a water-soluble fiber that aids in absorbing fluids in our digestive system. Though, consumption of bananas must be moderate, since too much intake may lead to constipation.
2. Prevent Morning Sickness
For pregnant women, eating banana is a must especially in the morning after waking up to avoid morning sickness. Bananas have its calming properties which help regenerate the body, revitalize a healthy blood sugar level and helps prevent nausea.
3. Gives Natural Energy
Bananas contain vitamins A, C and B6, potassium, carbohydrates, iron, magnesium, calcium, sodium, phosphorus and zinc which contribute and supply natural energy. It also contains three combinations of natural sugars such as glucose, fructose and sucrose that may give you additional energy potential. Consuming two bananas will give you enough strength to workout for an hour.
4. Remedy for Hangover
Bananas can be an excellent food for a hangover the next morning, the moment when you drink too much the other night. Since you don’t have an appetite to eat solid foods, you may make a creamy banana smoothie that will serve as a good energy drink which will absolutely make you feel better.
5. Relieve Stomach Ulcers
Banana provides a healthy stomach, in a way that it helps attain thicker mucus lining which protects the stomach from stomach acids. Bananas help relieve stomach ulcers since it has the capacity to exclude the bacteria and balance the acidity of foods we eat.
6. Good for the Heart
Bananas are rich in mineral known as potassium which is necessary for our organs, particularly the heart to work normally. Potassium circulates through the body cells, which brings oxygen to the brain. This will prevent heart diseases and lessen the risk of stroke.
7. Helps Improve Your Mood
Bananas help reduce stress and boost your mood since it contains amino acid tryptophan which turns into serotonin. Our body requires proper serotonin levels that improves mood, happiness, positive outlook and helps regulate good sleep. Bananas are an ideal snack for those who have stress at work.
8. An Ally for Weight Loss
Bananas may help you lose weight since it is high in dietary fiber which absorbs water in your stomach that would keep you from feeling hungry for a longer time.
9. A Good Source of Iron
Bananas may help people with iron deficiency. Eating bananas regularly along with other foods that is rich in iron will restore your health and will keep you from having anemia, headaches and fatigue.
10. Helps Treat Skin Problems
You can use Banana peel to externally as a treatment for skin conditions such as warts, acne and psoriasis. The fresh peel skins of banana are rub lightly on the affected area and leave it on. It is better to do it at night before going to sleep so that you may avoid the smell of banana when you’re outdoors.
- Fatma Said Al Amri, Mohammad Amzad Hossain, Comparison of total phenols, flavonoids and antioxidant potential of local and imported ripe bananas, Egyptian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences,
Volume 5, Issue 4, 2018, Pages 245-251, ISSN 2314-808X, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejbas.2018.09.002.
- Jyothirmayi, NRao, Nalluri, 2015/05/01, Banana Medicinal Uses, Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280084961_Banana_Medicinal_Uses
- Pannipa Youryon, Suriyan Supapvanich, Physicochemical quality and antioxidant changes in ‘Leb Mue Nang’ banana fruit during ripening, Agriculture and Natural Resources, Volume 51, Issue 1, 2017, Pages 47-52, ISSN 2452-316X, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anres.2015.12.004.
- K. P. Sampath Kumar, Debjit Bhowmik, S. Duraivel, M. Umadevi, Traditional and Medicinal Uses of Banana, Retrieved from http://www.phytojournal.com/vol1Issue3/Issue_sept_2012/9.1.pdf
- Balwinder Singh, Jatinder PalSingh, AmritpalKaur, Narinder Singh, Bioactive compounds in banana and their associated health benefits – A review, Retrieved from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814616303831
- Turon Recipe also known as lumpiang saging.
- Banana Cashew Bread Recipe is like the usual banana bread that we all enjoyed, but added with some cashew nuts.
- Mango Banana Smoothie Recipe is a flavorful and nutritious fruit smoothie.
- Banana Chips Recipe are tasty slices of bananas that have been preserved by frying.
- Banana Cue Recipe is a deep fried saba with caramelized sugar coating in bamboo skewers.
- Mango Banana Milkshake is a yummy milk shake recipe with Banana and mango.
- Banana Bread Recipe is a type of bread that is made with mashed fully ripe bananas.
- Banana Cupcakes Recipe is very moist and delicious also made from fully ripe bananas.
More Health and Wellness Articles: