How to cook Turon or Banana Spring Rolls
Turon Recipe also known-as lumpiang saging. It is a deep fried caramelized banana spring rolls made of thinly sliced Saba bananas and a slice of jackfruit, dusted with brown sugar, rolled in a spring roll wrapper then deep-fried.
It is one of the favorite street food in the Philippines sold alongside with banana cue, camote cue, and maruya. They are sold along sidewalks by ambulant vendors on rolling carts. During my college years, this is my break time snack because it is very affordable.
When buying the Saba ingredient, do not choose overripe because when you deep-fried it, they will become mushy. You can store the uncooked Turon inside the chiller.
When cooking Turon, make sure to fry it in hot oil. This is the secret in making this snack crispy. It’s best to eat this Filipino dessert while still warm.
Turon Recipe Ingredients and Cooking Instructions:
Turon Recipe with Langka
- 8 pcs Saging na Saba Cardava bananas in english, sliced in half lengthwise
- 8 pcs ripe Jackfruit
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 pcs spring roll wrapper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Roll the banana on a plate with brown sugar and make sure that the banana is coated with enough sugar
- Place the sugar coated banana in the spring roll wrapper then add ripe jackfruit.
- Fold the spring roll wrapper and use water to seal the edge.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and add some brown sugar. Wait until the brown sugar caramelized or floats
- Add the wrapped banana and fry until the wrapper turns golden brown and the extra sugar sticks on wrapper
- Serve hot with an iced cold soda.
Recommended Recipe Video: