How to cook Kadyos Baboy Langka or KBL
Kadyos Baboy Langka Recipe A very popular Ilonggo dish and well loved cuisine also known as KBL, stands for Kadyos (pigeon peas), Baboy (pork) and Langka (jackfruit).
Here are KBL’s most important ingredients… Kadyos. The kadyos gives the broth a light purplish hue and enhances the taste of soup. Baboy. In this recipe the pata (hocks) is the choice cut and you must choose the lean-fat-cartilage/tendon combo. The pork will give KBL a distinct taste. Langka. Unripe or raw jack fruit is required for this dish, it is usually cut into large cubes and boiled until cooked before adding the souring ingredient. Bat-wan is the recommended souring agent for this recipe but if its not available you can use Sinigang mix or Tamarind. Batwan or batuan is a tiny green fruit grows abundantly in the Western Visayas region and oftenly used as souring ingredients in soups and fish dishes.
Kadyos Baboy Langka Ingredients:
- 1 Pork Pata (Hocks), sliced
- 1 /4 kilo unripe jack fruit, cut into large cubes
- 1 cup pigeon peas (kadyos)
- 5 pieces large sized Batwan or 1 pack sinigang mix
- 2 bundled tanglad or lemongrass
- 1 medium sized Onion
- 1 piece beef cube
- 6 cups of water (per batch)
- 3 pieces Siling haba or Red Pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
Kadyos Baboy Langka Cooking Instructions:
- Prepare Kadyos by soaking it overnight.
- Pour water in a cooking pot (first batch) then add the Pork, Lemongrass and a little salt and.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes then throw away the liquid this will remove the bad odor from the pork skin.
- Next Pour another 6 cups of water to the pot for second batch, add the onions and let boil.
- Add beef cube then on a low heat simmer for 40 to 45 minutes until the pork is tender.
- Once the pork is tender add the Kadyos or pigeon peas then cook it for 20 to 25 minutes or until the peas are tender.
- Then add Batwan or sinigang mix, salt, pepper, and Langka or jack fruit.
- Cover the cooking pot and cook for 15 minutes until the jackfruit is cooked.
- Add salt and season to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
Ready to serve Kadyos Baboy Langka Recipe