Last Updated on
How to cook Kadyos Baboy Langka or KBL
Kadyos Baboy Langka Recipe is a favorite Ilonggo dish and well-loved cuisine in Western Visayas. It is popularly known as KBL, stands for Kadyos (pigeon peas), Baboy (pork) and Langka (jackfruit).
Here are KBL’s most essential ingredients… Kadyos – The kadyos gives the broth a light purplish hue and enhances the taste of the soup. Baboy. In this recipe, the pata (hocks) is the choice cut, and you must choose the lean-fat-cartilage/tendon combo. The pork will give KBL a distinct taste. Langka. Unripe or raw jack fruit is required for this dish, it is usually cut into large cubes and boiled until cooked before adding the souring ingredient. Bat-wan is the recommended souring agent for this recipe, but if it’s not available, you can use Sinigang mix or Tamarind. Batwan or batuan is a tiny green fruit that grows abundantly in the Western Visayas region and often used as souring ingredients in soups and fish dishes. Batwan has a lot of nutritional benefits you can learn them here –
“Kadyós, Báboy, kag Langkâ” (KBL) is an Ilónggo and an Ilocáno viand. In Ilocáno, KBL is known as “Inabráw ti Kardís”. Some individuals prefer the version: “Kadyós, Útok (beef bone marrow), kag Rímas (green unripe seedless breadfruit)”; “Kadyós, Útok, kag Kalabása (kabocha squash)”; or “Kadyós, Útok, kag Kapáyas (green unripe papaya)”.
Besides útok (beef bone marrow), other versions use chicken, tuna, mackerel, líson, or mamsà as the meat cooked with kadyós. When ripe tomatoes are available, some individuals use ripe tomatoes instead of batwán.
Try this Filipino Recipes Portal version of Kadyos Baboy Langka Recipe and give us your feedback
Kadyos Baboy Langka Ingredients and Cooking Procedure:
Kadyos Baboy Langka Recipe
- 1 Pork Pata Hocks, sliced
- 1 /4 kilo unripe jack fruit cut into large cubes
- 1 cup pigeon peas kadyos
- 5 pieces large sized Batwan or 1 pack sinigang mix
- 2 bundled tanglad or lemongrass
- 1 medium sized Onion
- 1 piece beef cube
- 6 cups of water per batch
- 3 pieces Siling haba or Red Pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare Kadyos by soaking it overnight.
- Pour water in a cooking pot (first batch) then add the Pork, Lemongrass and a little salt and.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes then throw away the liquid this will remove the bad odor from the pork skin.
- Next Pour another 6 cups of water to the pot for second batch, add the onions and let boil.
- Add beef cube then on a low heat simmer for 40 to 45 minutes until the pork is tender.
- Once the pork is tender add the Kadyos or pigeon peas then cook it for 20 to 25 minutes or until the peas are tender.
- Then add Batwan or sinigang mix, salt, pepper, and Langka or jack fruit.
- Cover the cooking pot and cook for 15 minutes until the jackfruit is cooked.
- Add salt and season to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
Kadios, Baboy Langka Recipe is one of the popular must-try and to crave for pork soup dish from Iloilo.