Last Updated on July 8, 2016 by Ed Joven
Try this very and tasty Special Mamon
Try this Special Mamon, Filipino version of sponge cake Special Mamon Recipe is also known as yellow sponge cake, a very soft, fluffy and delicious mini cakes. What makes Special Mamon different from regular sponge cake is that they are baked in small molds which are good for individual servings.
This Special Mamon recipe has been adapted from Goldilocks Bakebook, just follow the easy steps and enjoy this soft and tasty Filipino version of yellow sponge cake.
Special Mamon Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 6 eggs (whites and yolks separated)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 5 tsp fresh orange extract
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, for topping
Special Mamon Cooking Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line muffin pans with paper cups.
- In a bowl, mix 1/4 cup melted butter, egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water using a mixer on high speed.
- With the mixer on low gradually add cake flour, baking powder and orange extract, and continue mixing until well blended. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar.
- Beat on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff.
- Fold in the yolk mixture into the egg white mixture.
- Divide batter into prepared muffin pans, filling until 3/4 full. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Once baked, removed from pans and transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Brush top of mamon with remaining melted butter then sprinkle with grated cheese.
Special Mamon Recipe is also known as yellow sponge cake, a very soft, fluffy and delicious mini cakes.