Last Updated on August 31, 2020 by Ed Joven
Learn how to cook Cebu Torta Cake Recipe
Cebu Torta Cake Recipe is considerably a creamy dessert yet simple and tasty that almost anyone can make. Cebu Torta Cake is quite a popular mini cake in the Visayas and all of Cebu.
If you ‘haven’t got the Torta molds you can use a big deep muffin tin, greased and lined. Torta’s in Cebu are special cakes consist of lard and “Tuba” or coconut liquor, as the leavening agent. They cook it in a clay oven. Torta mini cakes would last days without refrigeration.
This Cebu Torta Cake or Torta Mamon Cebuano is amazingly delicious; each bite makes you feel really good. It tastes like heaven!
You should try this Filipino dessert!
Ingredients and Cooking Instructions of Cebu Torta Cake:
Cebu Torta Mamon Cake Recipe
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 cup coconut juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 star anise
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup or 1 stick of butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1/8 cup fresh milk
- 1 small can (168ml) sweetened condensed milk
- Line molds with paper liners, but if you don’t have you, you can use wax paper and grease it lightly and set aside. Separate eggs and whisk egg yolks until smooth and set aside the egg whites for another recipe, such as Angel food cake, Meringue, Lengua de Gato, Sylvanas, and others.
- Preheat your oven at 350F.
- Boil the coconut juice and sugar over low heat for 5 minutes and add in the star anise to infuse in the syrup at the last minute, set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, sift over the flour, baking powder, and salt together until well mixed and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter until smooth and pale and add in the egg yolks and mix for a minute.
- Add the oil, coconut syrup, and condensed milk while continuously mixing.
- I don’t want to waste the condensed milk left in the can, so I pour the fresh milk into the can and scrape all sides and stir, then add into the mixing bowl.
- Lastly, add the flour mixture and whisk until incorporated, but don’t overbeat the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared molds, or divide the batter using an ice cream scoop to yield a dozen of Cebu Torta Mamon.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for about 18-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool just enough you can handle it, then brush with margarine or butter lightly on top and sprinkle with caster or refined sugar on top and let it cool on a wire rack.
We Recommend: Corn Muffin Recipe
Cebu Torta Cake is amazingly delicious and is always cooked and prepared in the Visayas region during Fiesta celebration.