Last Updated on May 24, 2021 by Ed Joven
How to prepare Mais con Yelo (Maíz con Hielo) Coolers
Mais con Yelo Recipe is another excellent refreshment that is so popular during the summer season here in the Philippines. The name comes from the Spanish word “Maíz con Hielo“ that means “corn with ice.”
Mais con Yelo is one of the variations of Filipino coolers, just like the famous Halo-halo; in fact, you will usually see this sold along the streets. It’s not pricy which can make a great meryenda or an afternoon snack.
Maiz con Hielo is consist of corn kernels, sugar and milk then mixed with shaved ice. To make it even more delicious, you may also add a scoop of vanilla-flavored ice cream on top. You can even add some crushed corn flakes on top to give it a crunch!
Mais con Yelo Ingredients and Procedure:
Here’s how to make an easy to prepare Mais con Yelo, this can fully refresh and quench your thirst in hot summer days.
Mais con Yelo Recipe
- 4-6 cups Shaved ice
- 1 425g Cream of Sweet Corn
- 1 250g Sweet Corn Kernels, drained
- 1 340g White Kaong in Heavy Syrup, (optional)
- 1 370ml Evaporated Milk
- 1 168ml Condensed Milk, (to adjust sweetness)
- ¼ cup Corn Flakes for toppings
- 4-6 pcs. Mint Leaves to decorate
- You also Need: for business/negosyo idea
- 6 pcs. 8oz. plastic cups
- 6 pcs. plastic long spoons
To prepare the Ice:
- First, we need to prepare our shaved/crushed ice:
- If you have an ice shaver, shave ice cubes and make sure to have an extra cup.
- You can also use a blender, pulse to crush ice cubes and chill until needed.
- Crushed ice melts quickly at room temperature, especially during summer.
For the Condiments:
- All we need is to open sweet corn cream and kernels in cans and transfer in a serving bowl.
- Unpacked Kaong and transfer in a serving bowl with syrup.
- We, also need corn flakes as toppings later on. Lastly,
- Mix evaporated milk and a little condensed milk and stir and set aside.
- In this recipe you can replace it with a can of Alaska-Crema Asada it’s quick and easy to use.
- Prepare at least 4-6 parfait glasses and start layering your Mais con Yelo.
- Put a couple of tablespoons of Cream of Corn at the bottom of each glass.
- Top with shaved ice, followed by a couple of tablespoons of sweet corn kernels and kaong with syrup.
- Top with the last layer of shaved ice and try to compact the ice as possible as you can.
- Top with a tablespoon of each; cream of corn, sweet corn kernels and kaong with syrup.
- Pour a generous amount of Evap-Condensed mixture, sprinkle some corn flakes on top and decorate with mint.
- Serve immediately with a long dessert spoon.
This Mais con Yelo summer drink is so rich and creamy, a perfect summer treat for Sweet Corn Lovers out there!