Last Updated on July 28, 2020 by Ed Joven
How to make Ice Scramble (Iskrambol), the popular Filipino street food
Iskrambol or Ice Scramble is one of the many classic cold snacks that we have here in the Philippines. It is such a fun, colorful and delicious snack that any child and adult would want a cup of it. Instead of finding a small stall that sells this, why not try to make it on your own as a fun little project, so that you can customize it the way you like it also.
The origins of this dessert are still a mystery, but what we do know is that street vendors were the ones who really made it popular; with all those colors and bountiful toppings, how can’t it not catch the eye of any passerby.
This may be a cup of sweetness, but it is also a cup filled with health benefits. One of the main ingredients you will be using for this dessert is skim milk powder and skim milk contains many nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D and A, and protein.
These nutrients can help you improve bone growth and health. It is also very useful in helping our muscles function better. Some of it can also strengthen your kidney and heart health. Another benefit of taking skim milk is it is good in managing and balancing our blood pressure.
From the colors, taste and procedure, Ice Scramble Recipe (Iskrambol) is truly a fun dessert. Imagine, you can make this cold snack by basically just crushing ice, mixing some of the ingredients together, and placing some of those colorful and delicious toppings!
Ice Scramble Recipe (Iskrambol) Procedure:
Iskrambol or Ice Scramble Recipe
Ice Scramble Base:
- 4 cups shaved ice
- 1 cup skim powdered milk
- ¼ cup wash sugar
- ½ tsp banana extract
- A drops of red/pink food color gel
- ¼ cup skim powdered milk
- ¼ cup colored mini-marshmallows
- 1 tbsp. colored sprinkles optional
- 6 pcs. wafer sticks halves (optional)
- 2 tbsp. chocolate syrup
You also Need:
- 6 pcs. 6oz. plastic cups
- 6 pcs. mini-plastic spoons
- First, prepare crushed or shaved ice at least 1 cup more as needed.
- Crushed ice melts easily make sure to keep it in the freezer until needed.
- A perfect vessel in mixing and storing Ice Scramble is an Ice Bucket, that’s the easy and right way to do it. (Note: If you have ice bucket you are lucky, use it when preparing this.)
- In a mixing bowl with crushed/shaved ice, add skim milk and mix lightly but quickly as possible.
- Add wash sugar, banana extract and food coloring and mix until well blended.
- Ladle Ice Scramble into a plastic cup about half full, top with powdered milk and put another layer of ice scramble, top with powdered milk, marshmallows, sprinkles, wafer sticks and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
- Serve immediately with a spoon or straw.
Iskrambol or Ice Scramble is characteristically dyed pink because vendors use pink food color. It is popular street food and is a favorite dessert among children for its bright colors and affordability.
The name Ice scramble or Iskrambol comes from the method of eating the dessert, wherein you stir the ingredients or “scramble” with the included straw.
Filipino Cold Drink Recipes: