Last Updated on
How to cook Beef Bulalo
Bulalo Recipe or Beef Shank Soup is an original native Filipino dish from Tagaytay and Batangas province. It is one of the well-loved main dishes here in the Philippines.
Bulalo is a soup that is made by cooking beef shanks and bone marrow for hours until the fat has melted into the clear broth. In classy restaurants, bulalo can be very expensive, but if you have the time to learn how to cook this savory recipe you definitely can save a lot and it only requires a little effort to cook this.
Bulalo Recipe is one such favorite soup and the hotter it is the better. It is best complemented by the marrow that is tapped out of the bone. This delightful Beef soup is a specialty of the cattle-raising region in the province of Batangas.
Beef Bulalo Ingredients and Cooking Procedure:
- 2 kg beef bone marrow have your butcher chop it into small pieces
- 1 kg boneless beef shank or stewing beef
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- 3 liters water
- 2-3 medium potatoes peeled and quartered
- 2-3 saba plantain bananas, each cut into two pieces
- 1 whole medium cabbage quartered
- 3-4 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch bone marrow and boneless beef shank or stewing beef in hot boiling water for a while and rinse in cold running tap water to remove scum and blood.
- Place bone marrow and onion in a stockpot, pour in the 3 liters of water and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add the boneless beef shank or stewing beef and return to the boil.
- When it boils, lower heat and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Add the potatoes and bananas.
- Simmer until potatoes and bananas are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and stir in fish sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until cabbage is tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
It is considered to be the best Filipino beef soup and taste much better when served hot, for those who love soups, this Beef Bulalo Recipe is a must try!
Other Traditional Filipino Recipes: