Last Updated on October 20, 2020 by Ed Joven
How to cook Igado
Igado Recipe is an authentic Ilocano delicacy from the northern part of the Philippines. It is made from strips of pork loin meat, pork liver (as the main ingredient) and other pig’s innards such as heart, kidney and intestines.
Igado is cooked with soy sauce and vinegar, sautéed with some spices along with carrots, red or green bell pepper, and green peas. One thing you should remember, don’t use too much heat when cooking the pork liver because it can be rubbery in texture just put it in a medium low fire to make it tender.
This Ilokano dish originated during the Spanish era and some say that the name Igado came from the Spanish term “Higado” which means liver. Igado dish is the Ilokano style Menudo, the only difference is, it has too many pork liver.
Ingredients and Cooking Procedure of Igado:
- 1/2 kilo pork tenderloin cut into strips
- 1/2 kilo Pork liver cut into strips
- 1 cups green peas
- 1 medium-sized carrot cut into strips
- 5 pcs garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium-sized onion diced
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into strips
- 5 pieces dried bay leaves
- 7 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, sauté the garlic and onions.
- Add the pork tenderloin and fry it until the color of the pork turns light brown.
- Pour soy sauce and water then simmer until the pork is tender.
- Next, add dried bay leaves, salt, and pepper and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the pork liver and vinegar then simmerfor another 8 minutes.
- Add the carrots and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the green peas and red bell pepper and simmer for 3 minutes to thicken the remaining sauce.
- Serve as Pulutan with Iced cold Beer or steamed rice.
Igado Recipe is made from strips of pork loin meat and pork liver as the main ingredient
Traditional Filipino Recipes:
- Tinolang Manok with Malunggay Recipe
- Beef Morcon Recipe
- Palitaw Recipe
- Bulanglang Recipe ( Bulanglang na Hipon )
- Chicken Feet Adodo Recipe (Adobong Adidas)
- Arroz Valenciana Recipe