Last Updated on November 9, 2022 by Ed Joven
How to cook Chicken Pastil
If the dish Binalot is found and popular in Luzon, Mindanao has its own version called Pastil. One of the popular Filipino morning dishes in Mindanao is Chicken Pastil, which is made with steamed rice and chicken shreds on top. Pastil is a low-cost dish found in all of Central Mindanao.
The dish known as Pastil is a classic in the Mindanao region, also known as Patil, Patel, Patir, or pater in Maranao, and Paster in Iranun. It is also known as “Kagikit,” a simple dish prepared with shredded meat that may be either chicken, beef, or fish. The meat is prepared by sauteing it with onion, garlic, and soy sauce in vegetable oil until it turns brown.
Pastil is traditionally served with a pickled vegetable made of cucumber or mung beans to balance out the saltiness of the meat. You can also include hard-boiled or fried eggs to make the entire meal. Additionally, the rice and the meat are wrapped in banana leaves to help them absorb the taste.
This Chicken Pastil Recipe is an excellent option for a snack in the afternoon.
Chicken Pastil Ingredients:
Chicken Pastil Recipe
- ½ cup Canola Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 med. Red Onion minced
- 350 g Chicken boiled & Shredded
- 4 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp White Vinegar
- 1½ tbsp White/Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder optional
- 2 tbsp Margarine optional
~ Shredded Chicken ~
- In a pot add 1 liter of water, 1 tsp Salt and 1 tsp Black Pepper & 2 Laurel Leaves
- Add 350g Chicken Breast Fillet
- Boil on med. heat for about 15 mins.
- Drain, let it cool down & shred the chicken
~ Let's Fry ~
- In a fry pan pour ½ cup Oil
- Add minced Garlic and minced Red Onion
- Fry until translucent then add 350g shredded chicken and saute
- Add ½tsp Black Pepper, ½tsp Turmeric & 1½tbsp Sugar
- Add 4 tbsp soy sauce & saute
- Add 3 tbsp vinegar & let it simmer
- add 2 tbsp margarine (optional)
- Fry until chicken flakes are crispy
~ Assemble ~
- Originally Pastil is wrapped in Banana Leaves.
- But I'm using a 400ml Plastic Container at the moment.
- 1/2 cup of Rice, Lettuce (optional), Tomato,
- hard boild Egg & 1/4 cup of Pastil
- You can also add Cucumber
- Serve and Enjoy!
This recipe can make 6 Containers
While preparing and serving my Chicken Pastil, I did not find banana leaves to wrap my Pastil. Banana leaves are traditionally used for selling Chicken Pastil at carenderias or food stands. Since banana leaves are unavailable, I placed Chicken Pastil in a tub, which is much more convenient if you take it to work for lunch or sell it.
Pastil is similar to the Malaysian dish Nasi Lemak, typically served at carinderias or tiny eateries.
Filipino Favorite Chicken Recipes:
- Chicken Pandan Recipe
- Chicken Pastil Recipe
- Creamy Chicken Pastel Recipe
- Filipino Tamales Recipe
- Max’s style Fried Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Salpicao Recipe
- Adobong Adidas (Chicken Feet Adobo)
- Kalderetang Manok
- Chicken Asado Recipe
- Top 20 Filipino Chicken Recipes