Last Updated on August 21, 2014 by Ed Joven
How to cook the famous Bicol Express
Bicolanos are famous for their Bicol Express a hot and spicy dish cooked in coconut milk, pork and with lots of birds eye chili that makes it very hot.
The original Bicol Express Recipe is a stew made from long chilies also known as birds eye chili (siling mahaba in Tagalog), coconut milk, shrimp paste or stockfish, onion, pork, and garlic. It is said to have evolved from Gulay na may lada, another Bicolano dish which is nowadays presented as one of the many variants of Bicol Express.
Bicol Express Ingredients:
- 1/4 kilo pork, thinly sliced
- 8 pcs birds eye chili or jalapeno peppers
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 head of garlic, minced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Salt to taste
Bicol Express Cooking Instructions:
- In a bowl of water with salt, soak chili peppers for 30 minutes then rinse and strain.
- In a cooking pan, heat cooking oil and brown sliced pork for a few minutes.
- In another pan, saute minced garlic and onion.
- Add to the saute the browned pork.
- Then add the coconut milk, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chili peppers and cook until dish gets a little dry.
- Add the coconut cream and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Salt to taste.
Our version of the famous Bikol Express Recipe