Laing Recipe, also known as Ginataang Gabi is equally famous and tasty as the Bicol Express. The dish’s main ingredients are taro stem and leaf cooked in coconut milk, salted with fermented shrimp or fish bagoong. It is also heavily spiced with red hot chilies called siling labuyo (“Bird’s eye chili”).
Preparation Time: 00:15
Cooking Time: 00:25
Servings: 3 to 4
- 25 pieces gabi (taro) leaves, dried and shredded
- 1/2 kilo pork, diced
- 1/4 cup shrimp bagoong
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 5 red hot chilies or siling labuyo, sliced
- 1 cup coconut cream (katang gata)
- 2 cups coconut milk (gata)
- 1/2 teaspoon vetsin or monosodium glutamate (MSG) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Laing Cooking Instructions:
- In a casserole, saute’ garlic, ginger and onions then add the pork.
- Mix in the gabi leaves.
- Pour in the coconut milk (gata) and bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add red hot chilies, bagoong, salt and MSG and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and continue to simmer until oil comes out of the cream.
- Serve hot with plain white rice.
Try this Laing Recipe version of Filipino Recipes Portal