Last Updated on November 7, 2022 by Ed Joven
How to cook Afritadang Manok
Apritadang Manok Recipe is one of those tomato sauce-based stews that many Filipinos believed have been introduced in the Philippines by the Spaniards. Chicken Afritada is so popular and loved by many Filipinos. That’s why most Karinderias in the Philippines sell this dish.
The reason Chicken Afritada is popular because it is delicious and an easy-to-make homestyle dish. It may look similar to Menudo and Caldereta, but it is totally different in terms of taste.
This version of Afritadang Manok is much easier to make, we used Choice Cuts Chicken Legs, no need to cut the chicken, and we used ready-made tomato sauce, so there’s no need to cut a lot of tomatoes, saving you more time and less effort in your cooking process.
Try this PinoyRecipe version of Afritadang Manok Recipe and give us your feedback.
Afritadang Manok Ingredients and Cooking Procedure:
Afritadang Manok Recipe
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 big carrot - cubed
- 1 big potato - cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 medium red/green bell pepper
- 1 ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 pounds chicken - drumstick or wings
- ¼ cup potted meat optional
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Fry carrots and potatoes until edges are lightly browned. Set aside.
- Sear chicken for 2-3 minutes each side. Remove from oil and set aside.
- In the same skillet with oil. Saute garlic and onion until aromatic and limp.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and 1 cup water. Turn heat to low and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes until the tomato sauce loses some of its sourness.
- Add the chicken and ¼ - ½ cup water or as needed. Season with salt. Cover and simmer for another 30-40 minutes or until the chicken are cooked through and the sauce is reduced with the oil floating on the surface.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and bell pepper, butter, potted meat and grated cheese. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve with hot rice.
Our Afritadang Manok version is cooked in a creamy, savory tomato-based sauce with choice cuts of chicken and carefully selected vegetables and spices.
Filipino Favorite Chicken Recipes:
- Chicken Pandan Recipe
- Chicken Pastil Recipe
- Creamy Chicken Pastel Recipe
- Filipino Tamales Recipe
- Max’s style Fried Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Salpicao Recipe
- Adobong Adidas (Chicken Feet Adobo)
- Kalderetang Manok
- Chicken Asado Recipe
- Top 20 Filipino Chicken Recipes