How to make Yema Frosting
Yema Cake is a very popular Filipino cake and most requested among the cake recipes on our inbox. We decided to experiment with this cake recipe since this is the season where many recipe hunters are also experimenting with the food recipes they want to put on the table for the Christmas celebration.
This Yema Frosting Recipe when frosted on any Sponge Cake will surely make it decadent and delicious. Yema frosting derived from the popular Filipino milk candy, Yema. It is a chewy milk candy made of condensed milk with egg yolks cooked until becomes sticky and chewy. The Yema Frosting version is more creamy but less sticky to make it more spreadable on any cakes.
Here is our version of Yema Frosting Recipe.
Yema Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 can Condensed milk (400ml)
- 1 can Evaporated milk (125ml)
- 6 large sized Egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla extract
Yema Frosting Instructions:
- In a stove top mixing bowl, combine Condensed milk, Egg yolks and Evaporated milk
- Turn on the heat to the bowl on top of a saucepan with simmering water for until the Yema mixture becomes thick and spreadable.
- Turn off the heat once it reached the desired thickness you want.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix well until combined.
- Let the Yema frosting cool down, take note that as it cools down the milk mixture will thicken more.
- Cover it with a plastic wrap and make sure there is no air in between until it is completely cool.
- Spread it evenly when frosting your cake, then place in a clean container the remaining Yema frosting, seal it and refrigerate.
Yema Frosting Recipe when frosted on any Sponge Cake will surely make it decadent and delicious.