Last Updated on
How to cook Kutsinta
Kutsinta Recipe or Cuchinta is one of the most popular Kakanin or sticky rice cakes here in the Philippines and can be found almost anywhere. This delicious Filipino delicacy is brown or sometimes orange in color, made from rice flour, lye water, brown sugar annatto seeds or achuete and topped with shredded coconut to add more flavor and crunch. Lye water makes the sticky rice cakes firm.
Kutsinta is shaped like a cupcake; it is chewy, sticky, and dense in texture. In making this tasty recipe it is prepared by steaming. Kutsinta is often served with puto and is good with freshly grated coconut.
Try these easy to follow steps on how to make Kutsinta Recipe; this would make a perfect afternoon merienda.
Kutsinta by Filipino Recipes Portal:
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tbsp anatto powder diluted in 1½ cups of water
- 1 tsp lye water “lye solution”
- orange food color (optional)
- 1 cup grated coconut for toppings
- Preheat your steamer with 2 liters of water over medium heat and cover with a lid.Meanwhile, If you don’t have anatto powder you can use anatto seeds. In a sauce pan put a cup of water and 1½ tablespoons of anatto seeds and let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes until the water turns red-orange.
- Remove from fire, strain the simmered anatto and discard the seeds. Add in the remaining half cup of water to cool down and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix all the dry ingredients and whisk to mix well. Add the anatto water and lye solution (be exact with the lye measurement or mixture will become bitter and hard) then mix thoroughly, strain to remove the lumpy bits. Pour at least 3 tablespoons of the mixture into each molds, this recipe can yield a dozen of kutsinta.
- Steam for about 25-30 minutes with a clean cloth under the lid. Once cooked, take off from the steamer and let is cool slightly before transferring to a plate for an easy removal. Served warm or cooled with freshly grated coconut and enjoy your perfect homemade kutsinta.
Kutsinta Recipe is a perfect afternoon merienda for your family and friends.
Published on: Dec 24, 2007
Updated: Nov. 5, 2015