How to cook Black Rice Pudding
Rice Pudding is traditionally prepared with white glutinous rice usually served as breakfast. In this dish, we are going to make Black Rice Pudding Recipe, cooked in brown sugar, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and with milk and fresh fruit for toppings. Black Rice has both fiber and loads of antioxidants, it also has iron and flavonoids.
This healthy Filipino Kakanin is sweet, creamy and absolutely delicious, and it is also an excellent dessert at the end of a meal. Black Rice Pudding is like a comfort food, it is good either warm or cold and the cooking process is very easy. To make the Black rice more sticky, soak it for about four hours or overnight.
Black Rice Pudding Ingredients
- 1 cup uncooked black glutinous rice, soaked overnight
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 pack (50g) coconut powder
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 big ripe mango, peeled and sliced, for toppings (or any available fruits you have)
- ½ cup fresh milk, for extra drizzle on top
Black Rice Pudding Instructions:
- In a large heavy-based pan, put the uncooked violet glutinous rice that has been soaked overnight.
- Pour in the boiling water and add the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Cover the pan with a lid and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20-30 minutes until sticky rice are tender and the liquid almost absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in brown sugar, coconut powder and coconut milk.
- Cover with a lid and set aside for 10 minutes just to steam a little bit.
- After ten minutes fire off, if the sticky rice is too thick for you just add a little fresh milk and mix well.
- Transfer cooked violet rice pudding in a dessert glass or tiny bowls.
- Divide rice pudding into 4 parts, top with desired fruit topping such as mangoes, peach or mandarin.
- Serve warm with extra fruits and fresh milk on the side to drizzle on top.