Last Updated on June 16, 2022 by Ed Joven
How to cook Veggie Balls
Vegetarians aren’t the only ones with a reason to love this Veggie Balls recipe. They’re a lighter, healthier alternative to our beloved squid balls, with an irresistible dipping sauce that you’ll keep pouring over each tasty batch! First, make your Veggie Balls dipping sauce with water, brown sugar, soy sauce, and black pepper. Then, add a cornstarch slurry, garlic, and chili to this mix as it boils, so it thickens up into that familiar brown sauce!
The secret to this Veggie Balls recipe? Instead of processed fish-flavored substitutes, you will need a batter made with cornstarch, flour, and baking powder. Combine this with grated carrots and green onions, and you have your veggie mix ready for frying!
Make sure your oil is boiling, and scoop your mixture using a spoon, so you form perfect balls. Don’t forget to drain these on paper towels to remove extra oil.
We highly recommend making many of these, as your family is sure to love this lighter take on a street food fave!
Ingredients and Procedure Veggie Balls:
Veggie Balls Recipe
Sweet and Spicy Manong Sauce:
- 2 cups Water
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch dissolved in
- 6 tbsp of water slurry
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 small Red Onion minced
- 2 pcs. Red Chilies minced
Veggie Ball Sticky Batter:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Baking Powder
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups Water adjust if needed
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 cup Carrots grated
- ¼ - ½ cup Green Onions sliced
- 1 ½ cups Cooking Oil for frying
~ Dipping Sauce ~
- Combine water and brown sugar stir until it dissolves
- Add soy sauce and black pepper
- Dissolve cornstarch in water then set aside
- Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat
- Add garlic, onion and chili let it simmer for 3 mins
- Add slurry, stir and simmer until the sauce thickens
- Fire off, let it cool & transfer in a serving dip or bottles
~ Veggie Balls Batter ~
- Combine all-purpose flour, baking powder & cornstarch
- Add water gradually & continue mixing
- Mix batter with a spatula until smooth
- Add fish sauce & mix until well blended
- Add grated carrots & green onions then mix well
~ Let's Fry ~
- Dip spoons into the heated oil & form the batter into a ball
- Fry veggie balls until puffy & light brown
- For best result deep fry veggie balls in a preheated oil
- Drain veggie balls in a paper towel or strainer
- Serve Veggie Balls while it's hot!
- Use bamboo skewer when you serve
- Dip in Sweet & Spicy Manong Sauce
- You can also use Sweet Chili Sauce or Vinegar with Garlic & Onion
- You can use or add any vegetables you like – beans, peas, malunggay, carrots, cabbage, celery, bell pepper, and some chilies.
- You can also add pan-fried potatoes or hard-boiled eggs to extend servings.
- When deep frying, do not overload the pan because this will lower the heat temperature of your oil.
Try these easy-to-make and budget-friendly Pinoy street food negosyo Veggie Balls with spiced vinegar sawsawan or the famous Manong sauce.
Other Balls Recipes: