How to cook Butter Cookies
Not all accidents are bad. Sometimes, it can be a springboard to good ideas. Take for example cookies. Because they had to test oven temperature before baking larger cakes, the Dutch used small sizes of the batter and thus they call it “koekje” or little cakes. By then, the accident took other places by storm as the British enjoyed having cookies with their tea. The Americans followed suit and soon, cookies have become a part of daily life.
That being said, Butter Cookies are one of the more popular flavours in the world. Though small in size, its taste is big enough to please one’s taste buds. This treat is relatively easy to do but it sure has a flavour that you will not take for granted. After all, butter is an excellent source of Vitamin A for better vision and selenium which is a powerful antioxidant. It also has healthy fatty acids that supports the immune system and boosts metabolism.
Butter Cookies is very easy to prepare just follow steps below:
Butter Cookies by Filipino Recipes Portal:
Butter Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch or cassava flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3 tbsp. fresh milk optional
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 325F and line your baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large pan, combine flour and starch and toast over low heat for about 5-8 minutes just until light brown. You can actually omit this process if you’re using a cornstarch but since I’m using cassava flour I wanted to toast it just to make sure that the cassava flour is thoroughly cooked. Set aside and let it cool down at room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, soften the butter using a spatula and add the vanilla, then beat until becomes soft and smooth. Add in powdered sugar and mix until well-combined. Add in toasted dry ingredients and slowly mix until becomes a soft dough. At this stage if your dough is a little bit crumbly you can add one tablespoon of milk at a time and mix until well combine and becomes a soft dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface to form a ball, it should be soft but not sticky or crumbly. If you’re using a cookie press cutter, fill the cylinder just enough dough, then start pressing using your desired cutter. Press cookie dough directly into the lined tray with at least 1 inch apart. Repeat process until you’re done with your dough. And if you’re using a regular cookie cutter, roll your dough into desired thickness (mine was ¼ inch thick).
- Using a cookie cutter in whatever shape you want, cut the dough and arrange them on your lined baking trays at least an inch apart. Continue until you’re done with your dough
- Bake in a preheated oven using a middle rack for at least 12-15 minutes. Keep an eye on them or set your timer so it won’t burn. These cookies are very fragile while it’s hot, so transfer them to a cooling rack with care.
Get this easy-to-follow Butter Cookies recipe, they are crisper and more buttery in flavor.