The Top 10 Health Benefits of drinking Coconut Water (Buko Juice)
Top 10 Health Benefits of Coconut Water (Buko Juice) – Coconut water is a nutritious and tasty drink that is making waves online due to health claims of many athletes and even celebrities like Rihanna, Madonna, Demi Moore, Kim Kardashian, Anne Hathaway, Chris Pine, to name a few.
Coconut water comes from young green coconuts and is packed with electrolytes, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids and enzymes for optimum health. It is a low-calorie drink that makes it a better option than sports or energy drinks. It also contains more potassium than banana.
This article provides a list of the surprising benefits of coconut water / buko juice for the body you may or may not know yet.
Coconut water is an effective thirst quencher after workout or sun exposure. It is excellent in supplying electrolytes to the body and helping it recover from dehydration. Buko Juice (Coconut Water) is also the answer to fluid loss from diarrhea, vomiting, or excessive sweating. It contains five essential electrolytes, which are calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and sodium. Coconut water is a tasty alternative to water because of the sweetness from its natural sugar. Sports and energy drinks are high in sugar, that’s why coconut water makes a better and healthier option every time.
2. PROMOTES WEIGHT LOSS
Drinking coconut water is an ideal habit to aid in weight loss. It is low in calories and free of fat and cholesterol. It is easy on the stomach but gives you a full feeling after enjoying the drink. Every 250g serving of coconut water contains only 46 calories.
It is also rich potassium, richer than bananas in fact. Potassium regulates excess sodium which can cause water retention, and adding to water weight. Drinking coconut water can flush this excess water out of the body.
3. PROMOTES URINARY HEALTH
Coconut water can aid in the prevention of kidney stones formation. Its rich potassium content promotes alkalize urine production, while dissolving and flushing out certain types of kidney stones out of the body.
It also has antibacterial properties that help prevent bladder and urinary tract infections.
4. PROMOTES COLON HEALTH
Due to the coconut water’s high fiber content, it is great for colon health and digestion. Unlike other juices that lose its fiber from the juicing process, coconut water is able to retain its rich dietary fiber content.
5. LOWERS BLOOD PRESSURE
Managing your blood pressure is made easy and natural by coconut water. It has potassium, magnesium and vitamin C that balances out the negative effects of excess sodium which is responsible for high blood pressure. Begin your day by drinking a cup of coconut water and take away the ‘pressure’.
6. GOOD FOR THE HEART
Also known as a heart tonic, coconut water can lower the risk of heart disease. It contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and anti-platelet properties that aid in better circulation – which means lower risk of heart attack and stroke.
Coconut water also helps reduce ‘bad’ cholesterol and increase ‘good’ cholesterol.
7. RICH IN ANTIOXIDANTS
Coconut water is rich in antioxidants that fight harmful free radicals from causing cell damage and cell death. Antioxidants are beneficial in protecting against the development of cancer, aging and a variety of diseases.
8. GREAT FOR DETOX
Detox means total body cleansing from different body toxins. Once on detox, just drink water. But drinking coconut water is always a better option because it still has the treasure trove of nutrients needed by the body during this time of fasting. Plus, it’s delicious, light and refreshing in every gulp.
9. NATURAL HANGOVER CURE
A hangover is equivalent to dehydration. It flushes out fluids from your body through frequent urination and vomiting. Coconut water is an all natural remedy to take the hangover away and make you feel better. Due to its potassium content, it provides quick recovery by replenishing the electrolytes in the body.
The antioxidants in coconut water also help counter oxidative stress and settle your acidic stomach.
10. NATURAL HEADACHE REMEDY
Dehydration can trigger headaches and even migraines. Coconut water is highly hydrating and provides instant relief. It is also high in magnesium which is helpful in reducing migraine attacks.
With all these health benefits, it’s no wonder you’ll be loco for coco in no time!
- Lima, E. B., Sousa, C. N., Meneses, L. N., Ximenes, N. C., Santos Júnior, M. A., Vasconcelos, G. S., Lima, N. B., Patrocínio, M. C., Macedo, D., … Vasconcelos, S. M. (2015). Cocos nucifera (L.) (Arecaceae): A phytochemical and pharmacological review. Brazilian journal of medical and biological research = Revista Brasileira de Pesquisas medicas e biologicas, 48(11), 953-64.Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26292222
- Manisha DebMandal, Shyamapada Mandal, Coconut (Cocos nucifera L.: Arecaceae): In health promotion and disease prevention, Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, Volume 4, Issue 3, 2011, Pages 241-247, ISSN 1995-7645,https://doi.org/10.1016/S1995-7645(11)60078-3.
- Yong, J.W.H.; Ge, L.; Ng, Y.F.; Tan, S.N. The Chemical Composition and Biological Properties of Coconut (Cocos nucifera L.) Water. Molecules 2009, 14, 5144-5164. Retrieved from https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/14/12/5144
- Z.A. Zakaria, I. Reezal, A.M. Mat Jais, M.N. Somchit, M.R. Sulaiman, A.H.I. Marmin, H. Sidek, S.H. Husin, M.H.A. Rahim and L. Abdul Rahman, 2006. The Anti-inflammatory, Anti-pyretic and Wound Healing Activities of Cocos nucifera (MATAG Types) Fresh Juice and Kernel Extract in Experimental Animals. Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 1: 516-526. DOI: 10.3923/jpt.2006.516.526 , https://scialert.net/abstract/?doi=jpt.2006.516.526
Here are some of Filipino Recipes with Buko ingredients;
Health Benefits of Fruits and Vegetables:
- 1] Top 6 Health Benefits of Batuan / Batwan Fruit
- 2] Top 10 Health Benefits of Guava Fruit
- 3] Top 10 Health Benefits of Mango Fruit
- 4] Top 10 Health Benefits of Broccoli
- 5] Top 10 Health Benefits of Guyabano Fruit
- 6] Top 10 Health Benefits of Ampalaya or Bitter Gourd