Last Updated on July 18, 2019 by Ed Joven
How to make Ensaladang Talong (Eggplant Salad)
Ensaladang Talong Recipe – Most often than not, side dishes aren’t given much attention during a party or sometimes, even by the chef/cook themselves. But what many of us aren’t aware of is how a simple side dish that can elevate the flavors of all the other main dishes. A typical Filipino side dish that most people look at as “plain” is Ensaladang Talong.
The concept of this dish mainly roots from the Spanish word “Ensalada,” which means “Salad,” so something like “Salad Eggplant.” The recipe is a mix of three ingredients, that’s why they call it “Ensalada” and “Talong” because it is the main ingredient.
Just because Ensaladang Talong is a side dish, doesn’t mean that it should be set aside and not focused on as much at the dinner table. Believe it or not, this dish packs a punch when it comes to its beneficial nutrients, vitamins, and minerals!
Talong, or eggplant, has a lot of Fiber and Vitamin B6; these two are proven to be effective in improving your heart-health. It also contains Vitamin E which prevents blockage of the arteries. For more information about Eggplants health benefits visit Top 10 Health Benefits of Eggplant.
Tomatoes are useful in improving the overall interior and exterior health of our skin. The lycopene found in it protects our skin and gives an additional glow to it. As for the onion, it has anti-cancer properties that can help you fight off the risk of acquiring it.
Eggplant Salad (Ensaladang Talong) Ingredients and Procedure:
The recipe of Ensaladang Talong is fool proof, even a beginner can try to make this. It’s just a matter of grilling, or even boiling if a grill isn’t available, mixing with the other ingredients, and seasoning.
Ensaldang Talong Recipe
- 6 - 8 slim Japanese eggplants not the fat aubergines commonly available in American grocery stores
- 3 - 6 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 tsps of salt
- 6 - 8 tsp of spicy vinegar
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- Red Salted Egg for garnish
- Green Mango Small sized for garnish
Note: The amount of garlic and vinegar will depend on personal taste and also on how long you intend to store the salad. The longer it is stored the stronger the bite of the spicy vinegar and garlic, so you may lessen these ingredients accordingly.
- Prepare eggplant
- The best way is to grill the washed eggplants over hot coals.
- This brings out a deep taste to the eggplant.
- The second best way is to bake the eggplants in a 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
- This method produces a drier eggplant which is easier to peel.
- When expedience is of essence, or there are no hot coals available, just boil the eggplant in a big pot for 5 minutes.
- Let the eggplant cool. Peel the skin off, trying to preserve as much of the flesh as possible.
- With a fork, mash the eggplant in a bowl. Stir in the vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cool for half an hour.
- Garnish with sliced Red salted Egg and Green Mango
Recommended Recipe Video: Luncheon Meat Macaroni Salad Recipe
Ensaldang Talong (Eggplant Salad) is an excellent companion side dish to inihaw na baboy, fried pork chops and daing na Bangus.
Ensalada Recipes (Filipino Salad):
- Ensaladang Ampalaya Recipe
- Kangkong Salad Recipe
- Ensaladang Lato Recipe
- Red Salted Egg Salad Recipe
- Ensaladang Labanos Recipe