Last Updated on May 20, 2019 by Ed Joven
How to cook Homemade Beef Tapa
Beef Tapa is dried or cured beef although other meat or even fish may be used with this recipe. Filipinos prepare thin slices of meat and cure it with salt and spices as a method of preserving it.
This Filipino breakfast dish is usually served in carinderias and fast foods chains. The combined Tapa, with sinangag (fried rice), and itlog (egg), is called Tap-Si-Log.
According to an article from ABS-CBN, TapSiLog was initially intended to be quick breakfast fare. It was Ms. Vivian del Rosario, owner of Tapsi ni Vivian restaurant in Marikina City, was the one who coined the term Tap-Si-log.
This Homemade Beef Tapa version is good for home consumption. Ideally this is also great for lunch boxes and not for commercial purpose because we did not use any preservatives.
Beef Tapa Ingredients, Preparations and Cooking Instructions:
Homemade Beef Tapa Recipe
- 1/2 kilo Beef sirloin thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 Clear plastic bag we recommend Ziploc
- Combine in a container the following ingredients; soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar and mix well then set aside.
- After mixing all the ingredients place the Beef in the clear plastic bag or Ziploc
- Pour the mixed seasonings in the Ziploc with meat and mix well.
- Refrigerate the marinade for a minimum of 8 hours
How to Cook the Beef Tapa:
- In a pan, place 2 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Add the marinated beef tapa and cook until the water evaporates.
- When all the water evaporated add 3 tbsp of cooking oil in the pan then fry the Tapa until done.
- Serve with rice topped with fried egg and sliced tomatoes.
Recommended Recipe Video:
Beef Tapa is best fried or grilled; You can serve it with Sinangag rice, fried egg, and achara (pickled papaya strips) – the famous Tap-Si-Log.
Recommended Filipino Breakfast Recipes: