Last Updated on March 1, 2019 by Ed Joven
Sans Rival Cake is a heavenly Filipino Dessert
Sans Rival Recipe is a delectable Butter-Cashew Layered Cake . Each layer is topped with buttercream, nutty – crunchy cashews, chewy, rich and sweet meringue that taste really good and heavenly.
The name Sans Rival is a French word, meaning ‘without rival’. Nobody really knows where this dessert originated but some said it is a variation of the French cake Dacquoise.
Sans Rival Recipe requires some expert touch. Among all Filipino cakes, Sans rival is perhaps one of the most difficult to make, my wife perfected this recipe on her second try.
In the Philippines Sans Rival is served in many Cafe’s and Coffee Shops.
Sans Rival Ingredients:
Sans Rival Meringue Wafer:
- 10 egg whites
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 c. sugar
- 1½ cups cashew nuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Sans Rival Butter Cream Filling:
- 6 eggs yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup butter
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup cashew nuts, roughly chopped for toppings
How to make Sans Rival :
- Place parchment paper, grease and flour heavily 3 or 5 (8×1 inches) round pans depends on how many layers you want to make and set aside.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks formed.
- Add cream of tartar and beat, gradually add the sugar, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating until egg whites are very stiff.
- Fold in vanilla extract and cashew nuts.
- Divide in 3 or 5 portions and spread in prepared pans.
- Bake at 300F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool just enough to handle.
- Immediately loosen the parchment paper while it’s warm in a flat surface because they are hard to loosen as they are crisp when cool.
Prepare Sans Rival fillings:
- In a bowl beat egg yolks until thick.
- In another bowl cream the butter and add the vanilla, then set aside.
- Boil sugar and water until it spins a thread.
- Place the bowl of an egg mixture over a bowl of cold water.
- Pour hot syrup into the egg yolks in thin streams while beating (this method will prevent the egg yolk from curdling).
- Whisk vigorously to incorporate and to cool down the egg mixture.
- Blend egg mixture into the butter and whisk well.
- Add and sieve only fine cashew nuts and reserve the remaining.
Assemble Sans Rival Cake:
- Place meringue on cake board and spread a cashew butter cream on top, sprinkle with reserved nuts and follow the same procedure on the 2nd and last meringue.
- Use the remaining cashew butter cream to frost all over the meringue, sprinkle remaining nuts on top and coat all sides evenly.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving, to have a firm layered cake and not a crumbled one.
Sans Rival Recipe is a sweet Filipino treat that is buttery in taste, nutty in texture, and ultra rich in flavor.