How to cook Filipino Special Puto
Special Puto is the common pair for Dinuguan, you can always find both in many native restaurants in the Philippines. Puto is a steamed fluffy Rice Cake usually eaten as dessert. This Filipino dish is highly versatile, and can give you a lot of variety and flavors since you can incorporate chocolate, pandan, butter, cheese, and other flavorings depending on the flavor you want to eat and serve.
On this Special Puto Recipe we used All purpose flour instead of the usual Rice flour to save time and to make it easy to prepare. Using rice flour will take 8 hours to soften the rice before you can grind it.
Special Puto Recipes:
- 256 grams or 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp. Baking Powder
- 100 grams cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Evaporated Milk or Fresh Milk or Coconut Milk
- 2 pcs Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup water
- Cheddar Cheese, sliced or Red Salted Egg, sliced(optional)
- 2 0z Cupcake molds
- Banana Leaves cut into 2 oz Cupcake sizes
Special Puto Cooking Instructions:
- Clean the Banana Leaves, cut them then place on the Cupcake molds
- Sift together all purpose flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl.
- Slowly whisk and blend in water, milk and egg until fully blended.
- Fill the cupcake molds with batter to nearly full.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the cupcake molds.
- Add the sliced Cheddar Cheese or Red Salted Egg on top (optional).
- Arrange filled molds in a steamer, place cheesecloth in between each tray to avoid water drips.
- Put enough water and 1 tbsp of vinegar on the steamer and steam for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the Special Puto from steamer tray and cupcake mold.
Please note that the texture of puto defends on how the batter is blended. For coarser texture, the batter should be mix moderately and for finer texture it should be whisk longer.
Note on Banana Leaves: The banana leaves should be passed over an open fire to soften it, so that it will not crack when you fold and place it on the Cupcake molds. Another method is to dip the banana leaves on a boiling water until it softens. If the banana leaves if not available you can replace it with waxed paper
Ready to serve Special Puto Recipe