How to cook Beef Kare kare
Kare-kare is made from peanut sauce with a variety of vegetables, stewed oxtail, beef, and occasionally offal or tripe. Meat variants may include goat meat, chicken or rarely fish. It is often eaten with bagoong (shrimp paste), sometimes spiced with chili, and sprinkled with calamansi juice. Traditionally, any Filipino fiesta particularly in the province of Pampanga is not complete without the kare-kare dish.
Try this PinoyRecipe version of Beef Kare kare Recipe and give us your feedback.
Beef Kare Kare Ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo beef shank
- 1 bundle of pechay or bok choy
- 1 bundle of string beans (cut into 2 inch slices)
- 2 pcs eggplants (sliced)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shrimp paste (bagoong)
- 1 Liter of water
- 1/2 cup annatto seeds (soaked in a cup of water)
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Beef Kare Kare Cooking Instructions:
- In a large pot, add water and beef shank then boil for 3 hours or until tender (35 minutes if using a pressure cooker)
- Once the meat is tender, add the peanut butter, and coloring (water from the annatto seed mixture) and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes
- On a separate pan, saute the garlic then add the eggplant, and string beans and cook for 3 minutes
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to the large pot (where the rest of the ingredients are)
- Add the Pechay or bok choy simmer for 2 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot with shrimp paste.
Ready to serve Beef Kare Kare