How to cook Squid Caldereta
Squid Caldereta Recipe. Kaldereta is a favorite Filipino meal served during parties, festivities and other special occasions in the Philippines. In this Caldereta Recipe version we used Squid, this is not common because most Pinoy’s use Beef, Goat and Chicken for kaldereta dish but this one is my brother’s favorite and we would like to share it to the world.
Try this PinoyRecipe version of Squid Caldereta Recipe and give us your feedback.
Squid Caldereta Recipe Ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo Squid (medium sized)
- 500 gm Tomato Sauce
- 1 can of Green Peas
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns (lightly cracked)
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 85-grams can of Liver Spread
- 2 pcs medium sized Bell Pepper (seeded and sliced)
- 2 pcs long Green or Red chilli
- 1/3 cup bottled olives – drained
- 250 gm Potatoes
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Hot Chilli Sauce
Squid Caldereta Cooking Instructions:
- Wash and clean the Squid
- In a bowl add the following ingredients vinegar, salt, garlic, and peppercorns, then mix thoroughly.
- Add the Squid to the mixture and mix well then marinate it for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a big pot, heat oil for frying. Fry the potatoes till cooked.
- Then saute the onion on medium heat until soft and translucent (about 4-5 minutes).
- Scoop out the garlic and peppercorns from the marinade and add to the onion. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add in the Squid, stir for a minute then add the rest of the marinade, stir and cook for about a minute.
- Stir in the Tomato Sauce and bell pepper. Bring to boil then turn down the heat.
- Add the fresh chilli, simmer until Squid is almost done, Now add the Liver Spread and mix well to combine.
- Add potatoes and peas. Simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Add grated cheese, mix well until cheese has melted.
- Taste the Kaldereta sauce and add salt to correct seasonings, you can now add the Hot Chilli Sauce if preferred.
- Serve warm with Garlic Rice.
Ready to serve Squid Caldereta