Last Updated on May 22, 2021 by Ed Joven
5 Homemade Pastas
There’s nothing quite as comforting as homemade pasta. If you have a pasta maker, you can go all out and make both the pasta and the sauce from scratch. Otherwise, use store-bought pasta and make just the sauce – any of these recipes will taste amazing.
1] Homemade Lasagna
Ingredients for the base
- 1 package lasagna noodles (16 ounces)
- 8 ounces ground beef (lean, if possible)
- 8 ounces ground pork (or use all beef)
- 1 can tomato sauce or passata (8 ounces)
- 1 large can of chopped tomatoes (24 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small onion, diced
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Ingredients for the cheese layer
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Ground black pepper
- 16 ounces mozzarella, grated
- Cook noodles till al dente, drain, and set aside.
- Sauté the pork and beef in a deep skillet till brown, then stir in the rest of the base ingredients. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the cheese layer ingredients in a large bowl.
- Using a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, place a double layer of noodles, followed by half the cheese mixture, half the mozzarella, and half the base mixture. Repeat layers and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, and then remove the foil. Let it bake for around 5 to 10 minutes.
- Afterward, let it stand for a few minutes before serving.
2] Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- ¼ cup butter
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked al dente and drained
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup Parmesan, grated
- 3 cups milk (low or full-fat)
- 2 ½ tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 pinch paprika
- Using a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat, then stir in the flour to make a roux. Add the milk slowly, whisking constantly. Add the cheeses and turn down the heat to low, continuing to stir till the cheese has melted and the sauce is thick.
- Put the macaroni in a casserole dish and pour the sauce over the top, stirring to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, then add the breadcrumbs and stir to let them brown.
- Spread the breadcrumbs over the macaroni mixture, sprinkling some paprika on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, and serve.
3] Fresh Egg Pasta Noodles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (9 ounces, or about 2 cups), plus more for dusting
- 2 large eggs
- 4 yolks from 4 more large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Make a hill out of the flour with a well in the middle about 4 inches across. Pour the remaining ingredients into the center and beat with a fork. Once these ingredients are combined, work the flour gradually into the mixture until you get a wet and sticky dough.
- Fold more flour into the dough till the dough is firm and dry. Press the dough with your hands, fold, and continue working the dough until you get a Play-Doh texture. Add flour or water if needed to adjust the consistency.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Roll out the dough on parchment paper lightly dusted with flour. Cut into your desired shapes, and cook in salted water.
4] Homemade Bolognese Sauce
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (29 ounces)
- 1 can tomato sauce (29 ounces)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 can beef broth (15 ounces)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Brown the meat, add chopped garlic and onion. Cook for 5 more minutes, then add the remaining ingredients. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours on medium-low heat. Stir occasionally, then serve!
5] Homemade Cannelloni Filling
This filling is perfect for 18-22 cannelloni tubes. For the sauce, use either of the tomato sauce recipes above.
- 8 ounces chopped spinach, frozen, then thawed
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Put spinach in a colander. Try pressing out as much water as possible. Then put the spinach in a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients.
- Fill your cannelloni tubes and cover them with your favorite tomato sauce.
- Let it bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
You might also like:
- Filipino Chicken Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Beef Mushroom Spaghetti Recipe
- Filipino Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Filipino Lasagna Recipe
- Creamy Macaroni Chicken Soup Recipe
- Sweet Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe Filipino Style
- Luncheon Meat Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Creamy Fettuccine Carbonara Recipe