Ginisang Munggo Recipe with Chicken, Munggo or Mung bean is a plant native to Indian subcontinent. Mung beans are commonly used in Chinese cuisine, in Indonesia, they are called kacang hijau or katjang idju, and are generally eaten either whole (with or without skins) or as bean sprouts, or used to make the dessert “green bean soup”.
The most famous Munggo or Mung bean dish in the Philippines is the Ginisang Munggo (Sauteed Mung Bean). This dish makes use of Mung beans as the main ingredient complimented by different flavors from meat, seafood, and vegetables.
Most Filipino use Shrimp or Pork to compliment Munggo Guisado, in this recipe we used Chicken leg and added Malabar Spinach leaves (Alugbati).
Try this PinoyRecipe version of Ginisang Munggo Recipe and give us your feedback.
Ginisang Munggo with Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 pack Munggo or Mung bean ( 1 lb )
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1/2 kilo chicken leg (Choice cuts)
- 1 cup Malabar Spinach ( Alugbati )
- 1 cup String Beans ( Sitaw )
- 2 pcs medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 24 ounces water
- 1 pc Beef cube (to add more flavor, optional)
Ginisang Munggo with Chicken Cooking Instructions:
- In a pan, add the Munggo or Mung bean, water and Beef cube then bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the Munggo or Mung Bean is soft enough (about 35 to 50 minutes)
- On a separate pan, saute the garlic,onion, and tomato then add the chicken and simmer for 5 mins
- Add the fish sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the Chicken meat is tender (Note:* If necessary, you may add water to help make the meat tender but make sure to add more time to simmer)
- Pour the cooked Mung beans and String Beans then simmer for 10 minutes, now add the Malabar spinach ( alugbati )
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot with Fried fish or Pork.
Ready to serve Ginisang Munggo Recipe