Last Updated on April 20, 2022 by Ed Joven
How to cook Ginisang Munggo
Ginisang Munggo with Chicken is a Filipino favorite mung bean soup that is flavorful and healthy, packed with lots of vitamins and nutritional benefits. Munggo, or Mung bean is native to the Indian subcontinent. Mung beans are commonly used in Chinese cuisine. In Indonesia, they are called kacang hijau or katjang idju and are generally eaten either whole (with or without skins) or as bean sprouts or used to make the dessert “green bean soup.”
The most famous Munggo or Mung bean dish in the Philippines is the Ginisang Munggo (Sauteed Mung Bean). This dish uses Mung beans as the main ingredient complemented by different flavors from meat, seafood, and vegetables.
Most Filipino use Shrimp or Pork to compliment Munggo Guisado. In this recipe, we used Chicken breast and sliced it into small pieces and added Malabar Spinach leaves (Alugbati). You can also use Malunggay or Kangkong if Alugbati is not available. The best way to eat Ginisang Munggo is to partner with a fried fish or grilled pork with newly cooked white rice.
Try this Pinoy Recipe at Iba Pa version of the Ginisang Munggo Recipe and give us your feedback below.
Ginisang Munggo with Chicken Ingredients:
Ginisang Munggo with Chicken Recipe
- 400 grams chicken thigh cut into small pieces
- 2 cups monggo or mung beans soaked in water
- 5 cups water for boiling
- 4 tablespoons Canola cooking oil
- 1 head garlic minced
- 2 pieces onions chopped
- 1 Cup or 3 pcs tomatoes diced
- 1 pc chicken broth cube
- 6 pc s Sitaw or string beans cut to 1 inch
- 1 Bunch Alugbati leaves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a pan, add the Munggo or Mung bean, water and Beef cube then bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the Munggo or Mung Bean is soft enough (about 35 to 50 minutes)
- On a separate pan, saute the garlic,onion, and tomato then add the chicken and simmer for 5 mins
- Add the fish sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the Chicken meat is tender (Note:* If necessary, you may add water to help make the meat tender but make sure to add more time to simmer)
- Pour the cooked Mung beans and String Beans then simmer for 10 minutes, now add the Malabar spinach ( alugbati )
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot with Fried fish or Pork.
It is important to prepare the mung beans hour or a day before cooking. Monggo should be soaked in water until it becomes softer to make your cooking time shorter. I recommend soaking it overnight, but three hours should be enough if you don’t have time.
Other Filipino Chicken Recipes:
- Max’s Style Fried Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Bistek Recipe
- Chicken Feet Adodo Recipe
- Asado Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Afritada Recipe
- Popcorn Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Tinola Recipe