Last Updated on August 30, 2020 by Ed Joven
How to cook Bamboo Shoots with Coconut milk
The Labong or Tambo is one of the everyday vegetable dishes served by Filipino families. It is budget-friendly since it will not cost you a hundred pesos to make a delectable meal. Labong is a Tagalog word for Bamboo Shoots, an edible part of the bamboo used as a vegetable in different Filipino dishes. It is sold in various processed shapes and is available in fresh, dried, and canned versions.
Ginataang Labong Recipe is also healthy because calories and fats are relatively low and a good source of vitamins and minerals. Besides, it is rich in fiber and potassium.
More so, the Bamboo Shoots in Coconut Milk Recipe has a creamy and luscious taste. With a combo of shrimps or crablets and other vegetable leaves, you will get to love its subtle aroma and flavor—the Ginataang Labong dish is an all-time favorite of Filipinos.
Ginataang Labong Ingredients and Procedure:
Ginataang Labong Recipe
- 1/4 kilo crablets, washed and thoroughly cleaned
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup saluyot leaves
- 4 cloves garlic; minced
- 1 thumb sized ginger, crushed
- 1 stalk lemon grass, discard the top part
- 1 cup bamboo shoots, cut into thin strips
- 2 stalks of green onions sliced small
- 1 pc. Bird's eye chili, sliced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute garlic, ginger, garlic and lemon grass then add the bamboo shoots cook until tender.
- Add the crablets and coconut milk. Bring to a boil
- Season to taste and add the Saluyot leaves and Bird’s eye chili if desired.
- Discard the lemon grass. You can garnish it with green onions leaves and basil if needed.
- Serve with steamed white rice.
Try this Baguio Beans and Tuna
Every household has different versions of Ginataang Labong; most of the time, it is according to the availability of ingredients like pork, crablet, sardines and shrimp. Fresh Labong (bamboo shoots) is widely available in the local markets.
Other Filipino Recipes cooked with Coconut Milk:
- Ginataang Hito Recipe
- Adobong Manok Sa Gata Recipe
- Ginataang Alimango Recipe
- Laing Recipe or Ginataang Gabi Recipe
- Ginataang Gulay at Hipon Recipe
- Tilapia with Gata Recipe
- Ginataang Kuhol Recipe