How to cook Ginataang Tilapia
Tilapia is one of the well-liked freshwater fish in the Philippines and now we are going to prepare the Ginataang Tilapia Recipe. Ginataan is a traditional Filipino cooking process which is the food is cooked in “gata” or coconut milk, this is popularized by Bicolanos who lives in the southern part of Luzon in Bicol region.
Ginataang Tilapia is one of the varieties in cooking gata (coconut milk) dishes, a simple and yet so flavorful and appetizing dish that is surprisingly easy to make. The vegetables used in cooking this dish depends on what you prefer or what you might want to add like petsay, kalabasa or talong.
Ginataang Tilapia Ingredients
- 3-4 pcs or 1/2 kilo fresh Tilapia
- 1 pc large Onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, minced
- 2 pcs Siling Haba, sliced
- 1 tsp shrimp paste (bagoong)
- 3/4 cup kakang gata (freshly squeezed coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce (patis)
- Canola Oil
Ginataang Tilapia Instructions:
- In a frying pan pour Canola oil then sauté garlic, ginger, and onions
- Add the fish sauce and shrimp paste
- Pour-in the Coconut milk and stir until natural oil from the coconut cream comes out
- Add the siling haba and simmer for 5 minutes
- Lower the heat and add the tilapia and Simmer for 7 to 10 minutes
- Serve hot with steamed rice.