Learn how to make the famous Buko Salad
One of the popular desserts served in the Philippines is the Buko Salad Recipe or Young Coconut Salad. The coconut is considered one of the most important fruits in the tropics. Nutritionally, it is high in potassium and the water is rich in minerals. The meat from young coconuts are relatively softer and will just glide in your mouth, while that from older coconuts tend to be harder.
This sweet and delicious Buko Salad dessert is very similar to the Fruit Salad in terms of the preparation, texture and some of the ingredients used. The main difference is that the buko is the main or dominant ingredient in this dessert, which is cut in strips. Various fruits, either canned or fresh, are combined with heavy or table cream and condensed milk.
What makes the buko the star of this recipe is its distinct flavor and softness, and a little crunchiness that it gives even when it is combined with the other ingredients. Variations include the addition of other ingredients like apples, cheese, peanuts, nata de coco, etc. It is chilled for a couple of hours before it is served to blend all the ingredients together and to bring out the flavor.
Give Buko Salad Recipe a try and you will surely enjoy it.
Buko Salad Ingredients and Preparation Instructions
Buko Salad Recipe
- Coconut meat from 4 buko must be young coconut
- 1/2 kilo of seedless grapes combined red and green
- 2 apples
- 8 bananas Lakatan variety
- 3 large sweet ripe not overripe mangoes
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1 cup of Nestle cream chilled
- 1 cup of sweetened condensed milk chilled
- Cut the buko into slivers, about half an inch wide and two to three inches long.
- Peel and dice the apples.
- Peel and cut the bananas into half-inch rings.
- Place the diced apples and sliced bananas in a glass bowl and pour in the lemon juice.
- Toss to coat each piece well. This will prevent discoloration and will add a piquant flavor to an otherwise monotonously sweet dish.
- Without peeling, slice the meat from both sides of the mangoes avoiding the stone at the center. Score the meat with a knife in criss cross patterns then scoop out with a spoon.
- Rinse and drain the graphes and detach from the stems. Whip together the cream and sweetened condensed milk.
- Place everything in a large bowl and toss together.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Buko Salad Recipe or Young Coconut Salad is one of the popular dessert served in the Philippines.