How to cook Bringhe
Brighe Recipe – There are lots of great tasting dishes which came from the Kapampangan delicacies and one of them is the Bringhe Recipe. It is the local version of the world famous “Arroz Valenciana” which originated from the northern part of the Philippines in the province of Pampanga.
Bringhe is made with glutinous rice, then cooked with a combination of coconut milk, must be fresh for a more delicious result. We use turmeric powder also known as “luyang dilaw” as food color to make it yellow in color. Turmeric gives a distinct appetizing flavor to Bringhe. It is then covered with banana leaves until it is cooked. The leaves complement this dish which gives a sweet and heavenly aroma.
Bringhe Recipe is usually served by Kapampangans during special occasions like holidays and town fiestas to show hospitality to their guests. Considering that this dish is such a crowd pleaser that most of the visitors in the province always ask for this delectable Kampampangan delicacy.
Bringhe Ingredients and Cooking Procedure:
- 1/2 kilo boneless and skinless chicken meat sliced into cubes
- 2 pcs chorizo bilbao sliced into half inch thick
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 red medium bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 green medium bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 1/4 cup glutinous rice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can 400ml coconut milk or 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed coconut milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 1/2 tbsp Patis fish sauce
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 3 eggs hard-boiled, peeled and quartered
- banana leaves must be wilted to be used for cooking finale.
- Using a large wok, heat oil, then add-in all bell peppers, then saute until the bell peppers are tender but still crispy then remove from the wok and set aside.
- Add-in the chorizo bilbao and Fry until lightly brown-colored then remove from the wok and set aside.
- After removing the bilbao, add-in onions, next add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes then add-in the chicken and stir-fry, until lightly browned about 5 minutes .
- Add-in Patis(fish sauce) to the chicken and mix then continue to fry for 3 minutes.
- Add-in glutinous rice and mix well then stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth and coconut milk then add-in raisins, chorizo bilbao and the red/green bell peppers.
- Spread the turmeric powder into the mixture then stir to fully mix the powder.
- Add-in salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Cover until it boils, it will take about 5 minutes, make sure to stir occasionally to avoid burning at the bottom of the wok.
- Bring the heat to low fire and continue to cook, covered for about 15 minutes.
- When Bringhe is nearly dry, cut the banana leaves to cover it until glutinous rice is fully cooked will take about 10 mins.
- Transfer Bringhe onto serving plate then decorate with the quartered eggs on top.
- Serve while it's hot.
Bringhe Recipe is a flavorful Kapampangan delicacy, the Filipino version of the world famous “Arroz Valenciana”
More Traditional Filipino Recipes: