Last Updated on February 23, 2023 by Ed Joven
Authentic Kansi Recipe from Bacolod City
A true Negros Occidental classic, this authentic kansi recipe from Bacolod City is sure to warm your family’s hearts and tummies! The secret to authentic kansi is using batuan fruit as a souring agent, just like they do in the Western Visayas region.
Start by making achuete oil. Then begin boiling a kilogram of beef kansi (also known as the cut for osso bucco). Add onion slices, batuan and lemongrass to the boiling beef. Season it with salt and let it simmer before adding langka slices. Drizzle in your achuete oil and let it simmer until the langka is fully cooked, then add a touch of heat with finger chilis. A little patis (fish sauce) brings a note of umami to this flavorful broth.
This authentic kansi recipe from Bacolod City is the perfect combination of sour sinigang and beefy bulalo – two Filipino favorites that are comforting meal choices.
What makes Kansi different from Sinigang?
Kansi makes use of Batuan, a native fruit in the Western Visayas region. Batuan adds a rich sour flavor to the dish, giving it a more delicious and sour-tasty flavor profile.
You can buy Batuan at Shopee click here: https://shope.ee/9K2lKicxoe
Try this dish that brings the best of both worlds into one simmering pot!
Ingredients and Procedure Authentic Bacolod Kansi:
Authentic Kansi Recipe
- 1 kilo Beef Shank
- 1/4 kilo Chopped Jackfruit
- 8 pcs small Batuan fruit or Batuan paste
- 1 bundle tanglad
- 5 to 6 cups Water
- 2 pcs medium Onion chopped
- 2 tbsp Atsuete oil
- 4 pcs finger chilis
- 1 tsp salt
- Fish sauce according to taste
For Atsute oil:
- 1/2 cup Canola oil for atsuete oil
- 1/4 cup atsute oil
~Let's prepare Atsuete Oil.~
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup atsuete seeds
- Let it simmer over low heat
- Let the atsuete infuse in oil & render its color
- simmer for 2-3 mins., fire off & let it cool down
- strain atsuete oil & discard the seeds
- Transfer Atsuete Oil in a bottle or
- sealed container. Store at room temp.
~Let's Start Cooking Cansi~
- In large pot add 1 kilo Beef Kansi (Osso Buco cut)
- Pour 5 cups of water
- Cover and bring it to a rapid boiling
- Lower the heat to medium remove scum
- Add onion slices, tanglad "lemongrass", batuan and salt
- Cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes
- Add langka slices, 2 tbsp Atsuete (Annatto) Oil
- Cover again and let it simmer for 25 minutes or until langka is cooked
- Check if langka is soft
- Add 4 finger chilis and 2 tbsp patis
- Cover and simmer for 3 minutes
- Check if the meat is already tender
- Check the taste and add more fish sauce & adjust according to your taste
- Our Cansi is now Ready to Serve!
- Transfer in a serving bowl & pour the soup then serve immediately
Authentic Kansi Recipe from Bacolod City: Cansi is a famous soup in Bacolod City, and the taste combines Sinigang and Bulalo. Batuan fruit is a must as a souring agent because, without Batuan, the flavor will be like regular Beef Sinigang.
Filipino Beef Recipes:
- Beef Kare Kare Recipe
- Corned Beef Empanada Recipe
- Beef Salpicao Recipe
- Beef Stew Recipe Filipino Style
- Beef Tenderloin Tips Recipe
- Ginisang Corned Beef with Ampalaya and Egg