How to cook Corned Beef Empanada
Empanadas are among the most versatile of foods. You can eat them as an appetizer or as an afternoon snack with a cup of coffee or a glass of Coke. You may also eat them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. On top of that, you can have fun and use different stuffings for your empanada, depending on your personal preference.
For this recipe, you will learn how to make the Corned Beef Empanada.
As the name dictates, this specific variety uses corned beef as the empanada’s main ingredient. Given how much everyone loves a good-tasting corned beef, this can be a sure blockbuster on the dining table.
Based on experience, even kids who are actually picky eaters love this Corned Beef Empanada. We had this once during a party and I saw most of the children enjoying it a lot, much to the surprise of their parents.
In short, this is an awesome food that you can serve to anyone at any given time of the day.
So let’s not keep this too long and start getting your kitchen tools ready. Go wear your apron and let’s start making the Corned Beef Empanada right now. Here’s how…
Corned Beef Empanada by Filipino Recipes Portal:
Corned Beef Empanada Recipe
- 3 medium potatoes steamed and roughly mashed or diced
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cans 7oz. corned beef (use your favorite corned beef)
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 3 tbsp. butter softened
- 1-2 tbsp. scallions thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- pepper flakes to add spice (optional)
- ¼ cup carrots grated
- ¼ cup Cheedar cheese grated
Empanada Dough :
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine chilled & cubes
- ½ cup vegetable shortening or lard
- 6-7 tbsp. icy cold water
- 1 egg beaten for egg wash
- Wash and peel your potatoes and cut into quarters and steam until tender, fire off and set aside. In a large saucepan, heat the oil and sautee onions until translucent. Add the corned beef, stir for 3 minutes, then add your cabbage, salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine steamed potatoes and butter, then mix well. Add sautéed corned beef with cabbage. Add thinly sliced scallions, grated carrots and grated cheese and mix until blended. Check the seasoning of your corned beef filling before using, you can add more salt or cheese if needed or more pepper flakes if you like spicy empanada. Set aside the filling to cool down completely.
- To prepare the crust sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a bowl. Add in chilled butter & lard or margarine & vegetable shortening. Using a fork or hand pinch together until it forms a crumb. Add ice cold water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix well. Knead the dough for 3 minutes and form a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 15 minutes before using. Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut dough into your desired size, using empanada cutter, or a cookie cutter or any available round cutter you have.
- Place corned beef filling into the center and fold dough over to the opposite side. Use your empanada cutter/molder if you have one or you can simply crimp the dough with fork or with your fingers to seal the edges. Repeat procedure until you’re done with your dough, any filling leftovers can be stored in a plastic container for later use.
- Arrange empanadas on a baking tray and brush with egg wash. Bake in a preheated oven 375F, for about 30-35 minutes or until lightly brown. Time varies depend on the size of your empanada. Empanada are best serve when it still warm.
Enjoy this tasty and cheesy Corned Beef Empanada Recipe, even kids who are actually picky eaters love this Empanada, filled with a corned beef meat mixture and cheddar cheese.